1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can not understand how to divide the components of the vector.

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a closed semi-circular loop lying in the xy plane carrying a current I in the
    counterclockwise direction, as shown in Figure attached.

2.png

A uniform magnetic field pointing in the +y direction is applied. Find the magnetic force acting on the straight segment and the semicircular arc.

2. Relevant equations

The force in xx axis [itex]\vec{F1}[/itex] is easy to see that it has the normal direction [itex]\hat{i}[/itex]

so that force :

[itex] \vec{F} = I 2R\hat{i}\times \vec{B} \hat{j}= 2IRB \hat{k} [/itex]

where [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] is directed out the page.

Now the force along the arc.

The solution says:

To evaluate [itex]\vec{F2}[/itex] , we first note that the differential length element [itex]d\vec{s}[/itex] on the semicircle can be written as:

[itex]d\vec{s} = ds\hat{\theta } = IRd\theta (-sin \theta \hat{i} + cos \theta \hat{j})[/itex]

I know that [itex]s = R \theta[/itex], but i don't know where [itex]-sin \theta \hat{i} + cos \theta \hat{j} [/itex] come from.

Some tips ??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vector ##\vec{ds}## at a point on the circular arc is tangent to the circular arc and therefore perpendicular to the radius. (The diagram doesn't really show it as perpendicular, but that's because they've drawn a fairly large ##\vec{ds}## vector. It is actually infinitesimally small.) ##\theta## is the angle that the radius line makes to the horizontal. Can you deduce the angle that ##\vec{ds}## makes to the horizontal or the vertical?

Should your expression [itex]d\vec{s} = ds\hat{\theta } = IRd\theta (-sin \theta \hat{i} + cos \theta \hat{j})[/itex] have the current I in it?

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    Actually it hasn't the current in the expression (my mistake)

At first glance it seems that [itex]d\vec{s}[/itex] makes a [itex]\theta [/itex] angle with the horizontal. But that doesn't make sense because the component of the horizontal would be [itex](-cos \theta \hat{i}[/itex])

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  5. Jan 5, 2013 #4
    [itex]-sin \theta \hat{i} + cos \theta \hat{j} [/itex] is a unit vector pointing in the θ direction, expressed in terms of the unit vectors for the x-y cartesian coordinate system. The differential position vector ds is pointing in the θ direction. Its magnitude is Rdθ.

6. Jan 5, 2013 #5
    But the problem is that i don't understand why it is not [itex]-cos \theta \hat{i} + sin \theta \hat{j}[/itex] because the vector [itex]\vec{ds}[/itex] makes a angle [itex]theta[/itex] with the horizontal.

7. Jan 5, 2013 #6
    hum, maybe now it is correct?

p5.png

The angle that is does with the horizontal is [itex]90 - \theta[/itex] so it is [itex]cos(90 - \theta) = sin(\theta) [/itex]

8. Jan 5, 2013 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

9. Jan 5, 2013 #8
    Now it is understood!

Thanks again!

10. Jan 5, 2013 #9
    A trick that helps sometimes (or at least allows you to check your answer) is to consider the unit vector at the limits θ=0 and at θ=π/2. If you are considering the unit vector in the θ direction, then at θ=0, the θ-direction unit vector is +j, and at θ=π/2, the θ-direction unit vector is -i. We also know that at θ=0, cosθ=1, and sinθ=0, while at θ=π/2, cosθ=0, and sinθ=1. Therefore, the coefficient of j must be cosθ, and the coefficient of i must be -sinθ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook