Can potential energy be in the unit of Volts?

In summary: So in summary, there was confusion about the units in a homework problem involving electric potential energy. The teacher had mistakenly used volts instead of joules.
miamirulz29
In my teacher gave us homework on electricity. One of the questions ask "what is the potential energy of the pair of charges? Answer in the units of V." Is that an error, or is there a way to convert Joules to Volts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric Potential (volts) is the potential energy per unit charge. So the potential energy of a charge q in a region of space with electric potential V is U = qV.

But doesn't that equation give the energy in joules?

LOOK at the equation!

Exactly. charge, q, is in coulomb. Electric potential is in volts. coulomb * volts = joules. So you LOOK at the equation!

you don't yet understand what you are looking at...getting angry with those attempting to get you to solve your problem, like me, will avail you nothing...I am trying to get you to THINK...not get angry...

Let's try it this way...suppose I said to you distance equals verlocity times time...d = vt, and asked you how long it will take to move a given distance at a given velocity...
how would you approach that??

Use the same approach to your problem...

Also, this is NOT the forum for homework questions...

I understand what you are saying, t = d/v. But I am looking for potential energy not electric potential.

You still haven't answered the question. How can electric potential energy be in volts, if electric potential is in volts?

Strictly speaking you can't. There is no "correct" way to express energy in units of volts in the SI system (Volt is a 'inoffically' a base unit, Joule is a derived unit).
However, since they in this case only differ by e it is not at all unusual for people to talk about potential energy in volts.

Also, there IS a way to write this while still using the right units (which is what some people do in research papers and other "offical" documents).
You should be able to figure it out by looking at the equation (which I suspect is what Naty1 is referring to)

How much electrical energy is stored in a 2200-milliamp-hour rechargeable NiMH battery?

Bob S

miamirulz29 said:
In my teacher gave us homework on electricity. One of the questions ask "what is the potential energy of the pair of charges? Answer in the units of V." Is that an error, or is there a way to convert Joules to Volts?

Hi miamirulz29! :smile:

(btw, "joules" and "volts" have small intital letters :wink:)

I agree with you …

potential energy is in joules …

electric potential is potential energy per charge, so is in joules per coulomb, or volts.

(I've no idea what everyone else is hinting at :redface:)

I just found it that there was a typo in the problem. The teacher meant to say joules not volts.

1. Can potential energy be measured in Volts?

No, potential energy is not measured in Volts. Volts is a unit of electric potential, while potential energy is a measure of the stored energy an object has due to its position or configuration.

2. Is there a relationship between potential energy and Volts?

Yes, there is a relationship between potential energy and Volts. Potential energy can be calculated using the equation PE = qV, where q is the charge of the object and V is the electric potential in Volts.

3. How is potential energy related to electric potential?

Potential energy and electric potential are directly related. As an object moves through an electric field, its potential energy changes based on its position and the electric potential at that position.

4. Is potential energy the same as electric potential?

No, potential energy and electric potential are not the same. Potential energy is a measure of the stored energy an object has, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

5. Can potential energy and Volts be converted into each other?

No, potential energy and Volts cannot be directly converted into each other as they are measuring different quantities. However, they are related through the equation PE = qV, and can be calculated using this relationship.