How is capacitor energy the same as electrostatic potential energy?

In summary: For a simple model of N + ions and N - electrons in a plate, could you explain what kind of procedure do you have in you mind about " electrostatic potential energy, the energy needed to assemble this configuration from infinity " , e.g. all ions and electrons are at infinity ?In order to evaluate the electrostatic potential energy difference between two configurations, you would have to consider the path or method that those configurations were created by. But in electrostatics, we only consider the extra charges added or removed from the neutral, equilibrium configuration of the system. This works OK because you can consider the energy of a neutral object as a zero level and measure from here. When you discharge the object you get back to this "
versine
The energy stored in a capacitor is derived by integrated the work needed to move charge dQ from one plate to another. I'm confused on how this energy is the same as electrostatic potential energy, the energy needed to assemble this configuration from infinity. In the case of capacitor energy, doesn't it neglect the energy needed to construct the two neutral charge plates?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a simple model of N + ions and N - electrons in a plate, could you explain what kind of procedure do you have in you mind about " electrostatic potential energy, the energy needed to assemble this configuration from infinity " , e.g. all ions and electrons are at infinity ?

My thought is to alternate bringing ions and electrons.
Bringing the first ion would take zero work. Bringing the electron would take work. Then bringing another ion would take zero work since the the ion and electron are effectively neutral. And so on. So doesn't bringing each electron take work? I don't see how it ends up as zero.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Why would it take zero work to bring in the first ion? You have to separate it from its electrons, which would take work. Then you could recover that work by bringing in the electrons - so the end result is zero work.

Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd
What do you mean separate from electrons? Aren't we bringing in ions/electrons from infinity?

versine said:
What do you mean separate from electrons? Aren't we bringing in ions/electrons from infinity?
Where in the universe do you have separate piles of electrons and ions? Matter is neutral, so you need to separate the ion from its electrons in order to bring it in on its own.

Likes davenn and hutchphd
Suppose you move the capacitor plates in from infinity as electrically neutral atoms?

EM forces are conservative, which means that you can evaluate the electrical potential energy difference between two configurations without regard to the path or method that those configurations were created by. The work involved in moving an electron away from a proton is exactly equal and cancels the work to bring them back together, however you do it.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
@versine Why would you pick on the capacitor, specifically? You can ask the same thing about a block sliding down an incline. Do you consider the energy involved in assembling the block from proton and electrons when you use conservation of energy to find the velocity, for example? What about asembling the nucleus from nucleons?
The energy is there but is not relevant, same as it is not relevant to a discharging capacitor. Everywhere in electrostatics we are considering only the extra charges added or removed from the neutral, equilibrium configuration of the system. And this works OK because you can consider the energy of a neutral object as a zero level and measure from here. When you discharge the object you get back to this "zero level". If you can produce an electric field so strong that the object's ion lattice will blow into elementary particles then this energy may become relevant. But this is not the case in electrostatics.

versine said:
My thought is to alternate bringing ions and electrons.
Bringing the first ion would take zero work. Bringing the electron would take work. Then bringing another ion would take zero work since the the ion and electron are effectively neutral. And so on. So doesn't bringing each electron take work? I don't see how it ends up as zero.
Plates made of metal have negative bound energy below zero which infinitely separated dilute + ions and - electrons at still have. That is why metals are stable and do not dissemble to + ions and - electrons.
In that sense as for the title of the thread

How is capacitor energy the same as electrostatic potential energy?​

is not accurate. We may regard that electrostatic potential energy of the system would consist of minus binding energy and capacity energy. It should be still minus unless too much charged plates could make the metal states unstable.

You can derive the expressions for the energy-momentum-stress tensor of the em. field, mudulo a socalled "pseudo-gauge freedom", from Noether's theorem (see Sect. 4.7 in https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf ).

For electrostatics you have
$$u=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \vec{E}^2.$$
For a charge distribution within a volume ##V## you get
$$\mathcal{E}=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \vec{E} \cdot (-\vec{\nabla} \phi)=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x (\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}) \phi = \frac{1}{2} \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \rho \phi.$$

Likes anuttarasammyak
versine said:
The energy stored in a capacitor is derived by integrated the work needed to move charge dQ from one plate to another. I'm confused on how this energy is the same as electrostatic potential energy, the energy needed to assemble this configuration from infinity. In the case of capacitor energy, doesn't it neglect the energy needed to construct the two neutral charge plates?
I think this (basic) answer may help, without getting in too deep.
It is the Potential Difference between the capacitor plates that accounts for the stored energy. You are effectively bringing all charges from infinity and arranging them on the capacitor. You can ignore the absolute potential -it's only the difference that counts.

This you can of course also calculate for an arbitrary capacitor by considering the work needed for charging the capacitor from 0 charge to charge ##Q=CU##. Having charge ##q## (i.e. ##+q## on one plate ##-q## on the other) you need the energy of ##\mathrm{d} q q/C## to transport the next infinitesimal charge ##\mathrm{d} q## from one to the other plate, i.e., for the total energy you get
$$\mathcal{E}=\int_0^Q \mathrm{d} q \frac{q}{C}=\frac{Q^2}{2C}=\frac{C}{2} U^2.$$

vanhees71 said:
You can derive the expressions for the energy-momentum-stress tensor of the em. field, mudulo a socalled "pseudo-gauge freedom", from Noether's theorem (see Sect. 4.7 in https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf ).

$$\mathcal{E}=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \vec{E} \cdot (-\vec{\nabla} \phi)=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x (\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}) \phi = \frac{1}{2} \int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \rho \phi.$$
I thought I was pushing the limits of "B level" with my comment about conservative fields. But I guess I'm out of touch with what's taught in high schools these days.

Likes nasu
Sorry, I always forget to consider the level. Of course, this you can't use in high school. You have simply to admit that it cannot be explained with the language available at this level.

anuttarasammyak said:
We may regard that electrostatic potential energy of the system would consist of minus binding energy and capacity energy.

Feynmann lectures on physics https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_08.html
8–3The electrostatic energy of an ionic crystal
shows good example of calculation of electrostatic energy of materials though it is about ionic crystal not about metal that condenser plates consist of.

vanhees71 said:

I am puzzled that u > 0 leads to ##\mathcal{E} >0## but not so e.g.
[tex]\mathcal{E}=-\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q^2}{d}<0[/tex]
for two different sign charges separated d. How should I find an arbitration ?

I'm puzzled bout what you mean. In the above equation ##\rho## is the charge distribution which leads to the electrostatic potential ##\phi##, and the expression is indeed manifestly positive (semi-)definite. So how can you get something negative? It's clear that you cannot use a point particle as an example, because it's self-energy diverges.

Likes anuttarasammyak
vanhees71 said:
So how can you get something negative?
Thanks. Now I know that
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \rho \phi dV[/tex]
includes self energy of charges and it cannot be negative even in the case I referred. It may diverge to infinity but we can take out finite part from it for our use, e.g. electrostatic energy difference between same and different sign charges of same distance d apart the value of which is
[tex]2\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q^2}{d}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
What you discribe is an interaction energy, and this can of course take both signs.

For a set of point charges you can define only such a quantity, which is
$$\mathcal{E}_{\text{int}}=\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i \neq j} \frac{q_i q_j}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r_{ij}}.$$
You have to take out the self-energies.

For continuous distributions you can include the self-energy, and then the electrostatic energy is always positive, as is clear from
$$\mathcal{E}=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 x \vec{E}^2(\vec{x}).$$

Likes anuttarasammyak
Re #19
versine said:
I'm confused on how this energy is the same as electrostatic potential energy, the energy needed to assemble this configuration from infinity.
OP sees ##\mathcal{E}_{int}## and regard ##\mathcal{E}_{self}## as ground energy to be zero. We should share in the discussion what is ground level of energy in the system.

anuttarasammyak said:
Re #19

OP sees ##\mathcal{E}_{int}## and regard ##\mathcal{E}_{self}## as ground energy to be zero. We should share in the discussion what is ground level of energy in the system.
I'm guessing the OP left a long time ago, when you guys started arguing about vector calculus.

Likes sophiecentaur
DaveE said:
I'm guessing the OP left a long time ago, when you guys started arguing about vector calculus.
But the OP had a good answer by post #7 so I don't see a serious issue

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric.

2. How is capacitor energy related to electrostatic potential energy?

The energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the electrostatic potential energy between its plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the electrostatic potential energy decreases and so does the capacitor's stored energy.

3. How is the energy stored in a capacitor calculated?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

4. What is the difference between capacitor energy and electrostatic potential energy?

The main difference between capacitor energy and electrostatic potential energy is that capacitor energy is the actual energy stored in a capacitor, while electrostatic potential energy is the potential for energy to be stored in a system due to the presence of electric charges.

5. How does the capacitance affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is directly proportional to the energy stored in it. This means that a capacitor with a higher capacitance will be able to store more energy compared to a capacitor with a lower capacitance, given the same voltage across the plates.