Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can resonance be used to split a molecule of CO2?

1. May 9, 2017 #1
    Hello,
    interested, if the posibility of splitting atoms by using resonance is possible, if so, wheather or not I can use it for something else, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You mean to dissociate a molecule?

If so, what resonance are you thinking about?

4. May 9, 2017 #3
    Yes, exactly. I`m thinking about the dissociation of the nucleus of, for example, CO2 into Carbon and oxygen. Hope it makes sense

5. May 9, 2017 #4

DrClaude

You haven't said what resonance you are thinking about.

6. May 9, 2017 #5
    You mean, how I intend to create the resonance itself? Sound, very high frequency.

7. May 9, 2017 #6

DrClaude

You can't use sound to break a molecule like CO2.

8. May 9, 2017 #7
    If the input frequency matches the frequency of self-oscillation of the bond between C and O, then, why not? Any ideas as to, where to find the frequencies of bonds between certain elements or how to calculate them?

9. May 9, 2017 #8
  10. May 9, 2017 #9

DrClaude

Even if you could do that in theory, molecular vibrations are highly non-linear, so there isn't a single frequency you could excite at. And the link you gave talks about using laser light, which is not the same thing! Even then, simply vibrationally exciting a molecule at a single frequency won't work, but time-varying frequencies are needed.

At the molecular level, a sound wave simply corresponds to collisions between molecules. Regular chemistry applies.

11. May 9, 2017 #10

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are several reasons. One is that frequencies involved in molecules are optical, i.e. a few THz at the very least. "Sound" in the usual sense of the word only goes up to a few MHz at most (for ultrasound). Note also that this neglects the (not so small) problem of how you would "convert" your (theoretical) sound into the energy needed to actually break the bond.
    Also, just think of the wavelength of sound compared to the size of the molecule.

Note that both of the explanations above neglects a LOT of physics; I am merely trying to illustrate why it wouldn't work,

12. May 9, 2017 #11
    That is a point even one with my...knowledge can understand, well put.
    Ok, but what about the link I posted? It should mean, that it is doable with light...

13. May 9, 2017 #12
    Much appreciated for the information. Thank you.

14. May 9, 2017 #13

DrClaude

15. May 9, 2017 #14
    Ok, but any ideas as to how to calculate the resonant frequency of a bond of C-O? Also are there any DIY verions of wideband light generation chips or something?

16. May 9, 2017 #15

DrClaude

The easiest is to look at the infra-red spectrum http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C124389&Type=IR-SPEC&Index=1

I don't think that the equipment needed to do this is within reach of a layman.

17. May 9, 2017 #16
  18. May 9, 2017 #17
    Any ideas as to, how one can calculate the output frequency of a laser diode by knowing the type of semiconductors used?

19. May 9, 2017 #18
    easier to measure it by observing the color of the laser light. Or more quantitatively, measuring the distance between fringes in an interference pattern

20. May 9, 2017 #19
    Solid answer, but seems like I need to specify the question. If I know everything about every component that`ll be used for the building of the laser, how can I calculate the frequency using those numbers?

21. May 9, 2017 #20
    Buy a laser where they tell you the frequency on the box. I think the calculations you want to do are very complex. But there may be simpler method that I've missed.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted