Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can resonance be used to split a molecule of CO2?

1. May 10, 2017 #21

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't. The laser frequency will depend on the details of the device design and the choice of material is only one of several factors. Laser diodes are complex devices built up of many semiconductor layers with different composition; there are also many different ways to make a laser diode (a InGaAs based VCSEL is very different from the "classical" red Si based diode).
    Hence, you need to either measure it or just read the datasheet.

2. May 10, 2017 #22
    A. K. A. It's far from simple or DIY...

3. May 10, 2017 #23
    You might enjoy looking up the HCl canon. It's a physical chemistry experiment with H2 and Cl2 in a container; it demonstres how a certain wavelength is needed to break a bond of diatomic chloride, forming HCl and a 'canon' effect.

E=h (nu) where nu is frequency and nu or sometimes f=v/lambda where v here would be the speed of light. Play with these and the energy of a CO2 bond (typically in kJ/mol - there's tables for it anywhere from google). That paired with the typical wavelength for sound help explain why that wouldn't really work. There are plenty of E/M wavelengths that will break the bond in question, though.

4. May 10, 2017 #24

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I would like to point out that in this case, the molecule dissociates due to electronic excitation, not vibrational excitation.

5. May 10, 2017 #25
    Oh okay, thank you for the correction DrClaude! Would atomic/optical books be best to read into this more? I am intrigued.

6. May 10, 2017 #26

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This will be covered in some books on atomic and molecular physics, but it is getting closer to chemistry than to physics.

7. May 10, 2017 #27
    Ah okay great! Yep, unfortunately my passion seems to repeatedly be right at the interface of the physical sciences. Thank you, sir.

8. May 10, 2017 #28
    Ok, will do, thanks.

9. May 10, 2017 #29

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

May be too late to reply but as I recall to reach the first dissociation limit of CO2 to become CO and O, you need around 7.5 eV photon energy. You will need laser in the UV range to do this dissociation.

10. May 13, 2017 #30
    Actually useful, not too late.

11. May 13, 2017 #31
    I looked for the HCl cannon, but couldn`t seem to find it. Any chance you could toss in a link?

12. Jun 10, 2017 #32
    Does anyone know of a good website , where one can nuclear magnetic resonance frequencies of aromatics and alkanes? (
    toluene, m,p-xylene, 1,3,5-trimethylbenzene, benzene, and propene)

13. Jun 10, 2017 #33

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Jun 10, 2017 #34
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted