Can salt water electrolysis with RF power be an energy source?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Science Advisor
Messages
2,550
Reaction score
119
This article; http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=SALTASFUEL-09-10-07 , from Scripps Howard talks about what appears to be a new method for seperating Water into Hydrogen and Oxygen by exposing it to an RF generator.
From the Article:
Roy said the salt water isn't burning per se, despite appearances. The radio frequency actually weakens bonds holding together the constituents of salt water -- sodium chloride, hydrogen and oxygen -- and releases the hydrogen, which, once ignited, burns continuously when exposed to the RF energy field. Kanzius said an independent source measured the flame's temperature, which exceeds 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit, reflecting an enormous energy output.

The article seems to make a big deal out of the possible application of this development as a power source. At least there is one mention of the question of efficiency;
But researching its potential will take time and money, he said. One immediate question is energy efficiency: The energy the RF generator uses vs. the energy output from burning hydrogen

NOw, unless somebody changed the laws of Entropy while I wasn't looking, this process which starts with liquid water and ends up burning Hydrogen and Oxygen to produce water can't be a source of energy. Do you guys see anything I missed?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Berkman. I thought there would already ber a thread on this, but I didn't think to look in that Forum. Seems kinda obvious, now.
 
LURCH said:
Thanks Berkman. I thought there would already ber a thread on this, but I didn't think to look in that Forum. Seems kinda obvious, now.

No worries. Pretty interesting subject, eh? I'm just glad that we have a place like the PF to provide such lucid commentary on subjects like this one.