Can somebody explain this to me?

• Thread starter Sivy78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, In this conversation, the speaker is asking for an explanation of a mathematical trick involving 0.999... equaling 1. They suggest searching for threads on the topic, and another person explains the concept of real numbers and decimal representations. They also provide a specific definition for 0.999... as the limit of a sequence, and ultimately conclude that it is equal to 1.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are lots of threads on here discussing "0.99...=1." Try searching!

the point is there is a difference bewteen a real number and the numerals used to represent it.

just as 1/2 = 2/4, there are more decimals than there are reals, and1.000, and .99999 represent the same real.

one way to see this is to define the real number represented by an infinite decimal as the smallest number not smaller than any of the finite decimal approximations. then one eventually sees that the smallest number not smaller than.9, .99, .999, ... is 1.00000.

if one does not eventually see this, one continues to post it here ad infinitum.

The definition of the decimal representation 0.a1a2a3... is the limit of the sequence 0.a1, 0.a1a2, 0.a1a2a3, ...
In particular, 0.999... means the limit of the sequence 0.9, 0.99, 0.999, 0.9999, ... Since that is a geometric sequence, it is easy to show that its limit is [itex]\frac{0.1}{1- .9}= 1.

1. What does "Can somebody explain this to me?" mean?

The phrase "Can somebody explain this to me?" is a request for someone to provide a clear and understandable explanation of a topic or concept that the person does not understand.

2. Why do people ask "Can somebody explain this to me?"

People may ask this question when they are confused or struggling to understand something. They may also ask it when they are seeking a different perspective or deeper understanding of a topic.

3. Who typically asks "Can somebody explain this to me?"

Anyone can ask this question, but it is commonly asked by students, new employees, or individuals learning about a new subject or field.

4. How should someone respond to "Can somebody explain this to me?"

The best way to respond is to provide a clear and concise explanation that addresses the person's specific confusion or questions. It can also be helpful to use visual aids or real-life examples to help clarify the concept.

5. Is it okay to ask "Can somebody explain this to me?"

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for an explanation when you do not understand something. It shows a willingness to learn and seek understanding. It is important to ask for clarification when needed in order to fully grasp a concept or topic.