Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can somebody explain the Warp Theory Equation?

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    Could somebody please explain the following equation for me?
    ds^2 = −c^2 dt^2 + [dx − vs (t)f(rs)dt]^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 where f(rs)=(tanh(σ(rs + R)) − tanh(σ(rs − R)))/(2tanh(σR).

I've wrestled with it for a while, but quite frankly do not get it. I'm only up through Calc II, but I'm more than happy to learn a few new concepts, should the need arise. This uses the familiar coordinates, (t, x, y, z) and curve x = xs(t), y = 0, z=0 where x is analogous to what is commonly referred to as a spacecraft’s trajectory.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That equation is a line-element, or metric. It provides a map of a space-time geometry. (t,x,y,z) tell you where and when you are on the space-time map. The metric equation gives the "distances" (actually the Lorentz interval, because it's a space-time map and not just a spatial map) between nearby points. I.e. the "distance" ds between two points at (t,x,y,z) and (t+dt, x+dx, y+dy, z+dz) is given by the formula and is the value of ds.

Distances are a convenient way of describing a space-time geometry, just as the table of distances between nails in a rowboat can be used to describe it's shape as in http://www.eftaylor.com/pub/chapter2.pdf.

Or, as Taylor says, "distances determine geometry". So the map, or metric, is a specification of a space-time geometry.

If you're not familiar with the Lorentz interval, it's a very basic concept of special relativity, which is very much recommended to tackle before you try to tackle general relativity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook