Can someone be 'not good at math'?

• Thread starter mrspudgun
  • Start date
In summary, this person is bad at math, but compensates by studying a lot and being interested in the topic.
Many people can't follow directions. And many people are bad at cooking, as well as math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Beyond the Special Education, discalculia, neurological differences conditions, everyone can follow directions and improve at "MATH", even if it means frequent intense guidance. On the more advanced ranges, people run upagainst their limitations at which "following directions" is not good enough, but being very analytical, creative, or clever, and willingness for spending a much longer effort become necessary. Caclulus X too hard the first time through? Review something and try for credit again. Usually the result is better learning and better grade.

Sure, if you exclude everybody who is bad at math you can easily claim that everyone can do math. What use is that? And also, of course everybody can "improve" at math, whatever that means. That doesn't change the fact that some people are not good at math.

I wonder, how much of "Good At Math" is a matter of just studying and try to learn BEFORE you really need to use the stuff, and whether a person finds subjects or activities which make use of applicable mathematical topics and skills? I wonder if some people become "Not Good At Math" because they actively try to avoid any use of Math and any extra effort at preparatory study of it? I wonder how commonly do people who are "Not Good At Math" struggle in some Mathematics courses, find it confusing and not earn high grades, and from there-on, try very hard to stay away from any or all Mathematics, and never restudy again what they studied only one time?

ModusPwnd said:
Sure, if you exclude everybody who is bad at math you can easily claim that everyone can do math. What use is that? And also, of course everybody can "improve" at math, whatever that means. That doesn't change the fact that some people are not good at math.

This just gives us two basic kinds of people. One kind is the neurologically different type which the Special Education professionals try to help; and the other kind, most of the rest of people, who either will do well on their own or who can use coaching."two kinds"... Of course there are variations in between.

I believe there are people that is just not good in math. But most are just lack of effort. I put a lot of my thinking in post #28. I believe it's the attitude of the students or maybe even the attitude of their parents in United States, that education is not that important. Particularly in the 50s, 60s and even the 70s, you really don't need a good education to make a decent living. So if you want to drop out, it's no big deal.

But in the last 10 years, things change, now people has to compete with the rest of the world. After WWII, the rest of the world was pretty much got blown apart, we were the only one that was all intact. What ever we built, people buy. Now, the rest of the world long recovered, they have plenty of capability of producing goods. Look at the attitude of people towards the Japanese Cars in the 70s. They laugh at the Japanese cars being tin cans and junk. What happened? We got our butt kicked since the 80s. They are much more reliable, much safer... Then the Hyundai from Korea in the 90s that was a joke, now they are every bit as good if not better as the American cars and cheaper. Now the Chinese cars.....We loss the entertainment electronics PERIOD! Since when we see a stereo, tv, recorders made in USA? We were stupid enough to outsource our high tech production to China, India etc. This is coming back to bite our behind right about now.

Do you know how hard students study in the other countries? People look at education as a ticket to prosperity. I remember when I was in Hong Kong, we had a general exam after grade 11 ( form 5). Every year, there were students jumping off the building because they failed or pass with only E's. This is how serious people in other countries about education.

Now, the education system here glorifies effort, not result ( grades), that it's ok as long as you try, you show the steps. You get spared even if you don't get the correct answer. That it's ok to get a C. We are slaughtered by the foreign workers in this country. Open your eyes and look at the make up of the work force in the high tech industry! And we celebrate a C! Yes, our cars score a B and C, is this the pride of America now?

Last edited:
Yes. Absolutely. I am a senior physics major, and I am no good at math. Specifically algebra. I took algebra 1 three times in high school. Barely passed algebra 2, and failed calculus because I'd always mess up the algebra. I am however very good at geometry, and I love how by using a few simple rules you can solve any problem if you break it down enough. I also love the abstract part of calculus. Our high school calculus class went over the delta epsilon relation, although our teacher said we would not understand it, and it made perfect sense to me. The next class I failed an exam because I kept messing up my limit problems. Fast forward to college, and linear algebra makes no sense to me, but with some work (and now with a formula sheet because it's been a few semesters) I actually enjoy differential equations. Being "good" at math is actually a mix of many different mental abilities, each with varying amounts of innate understanding. Even if you're lacking in one or more areas however, it can still be done. Being "good at math" can sill be achieved by relying on your strengths and using them to overcome your weaknesses.

I was terrible at math until I could actually apply it to something. I had to drop my first college calculus class because it was completely alien to me. In fact, I thought the textbook was written by aliens. Once I got into physics, math was easy as pi.

I never thought I would be into mathematics, let alone physics. I had okay grades in math my whole middle school life. I always thought I was going to pursue my talent as an artist. But after failing (literally receiving an F) algebra 2 during my sophomore year of High school, I had a sense of anger and being stubborn I re-enrolled into algebra 2 along with pre-calculus my junior year. I ended up getting a B in algebra and an A- in pre-calculus. Senior year I signed up for AP Calculus and Trigonometry. I ended up graduating with 3.8 GPA and Honors. Ever since then, I have had an "itch" to understand everything science related. On my own time I browse science journals and look up free lectures on YouTube. I am a tutor for local high school students in Physics Kinematics... Me!? I failed algebra just a few years earlier and I am helping others learn. But, I am horrible with fractions, ratios and even percentages. So I think that people can have their strong suits and their weakness also... just because your math is weak in one area does not mean that overall you are "bad" at math.

Last edited: