1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

: Can someone check my working on these Diff Eqs.

1. Aug 15, 2006 #1
    URGENT: Can someone check my working on these Diff Eqs.

Hi I have a maths exam tomorrow, and want to make sure Im doing the right thing, please bare in mind i study physics, and am not used to some of the techniques that are used in pure maths, so if the person can help using the methods i am using, would be much appreciated.

Question 1)
    Solve this first order differential equation

dy/dx = x^3/y

subject to the boundary condition that y(x=0)=1

ok so what I do is rearrange to get:

1/y dy = x^3 dx

and then integrate both sides with respect to their variable to get

ln y = 1/4 x^4 + c

so then i remove the ln:

y = e^(1/4 x^4 + c)

SO
    now im a little bit confused with the boundary conditions, am I right in saying that when x = 0 , y = 1??

if that is true then am I right in saying that the constant of integration must be 0 (as e^0 = 1), so the answer is:

y = e ^ (1/4 x^4)

??

Question 2)
    Solve the 2nd order differential equation:

d^2y/dx^2 - 4dy/dx = 0

(no boundary conditions this time)

ok so here i used the substitution U = dy/dx and get

dU/dx - 4U = 0

and rearrange to get:

1/U dU = 4 dx

and similarly to above integrate both sides

ln U = 4x + c1

rearrange:

dy/dx = U = e ^ (4x +c1)

ok, so now im slightly confused, do I ignore the constant becasue there are no bc's in this question???? If that is right, then I just integrate again to get:

y = 4 e^(4x) + C

is that correct??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Question #1 is correct: well-done.
    Question #2 is correct, except that you need the constant of integration to remain, so your answer is [tex]y=\frac{1}{4}e^{4x+C_1}+C_2[/tex] and it should be 1/4 not 4. This may be simplified since [tex]e^{4x+C_1}=e^{4x}e^{C_1}=Ce^{4x},\, C>0[/tex]

4. Aug 16, 2006 #3
    wow thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately I wasnt able to access the site to check for a reply yesterday..

question 1 is wrong though, look closely, the LHS isn't 1/y.... Just realised myself, the exam went well anyways.

THANKSSSS!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?