Can someone confirm this U sub is legal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7
[tex]\int e^{-4x} dx\\ = \int e^x *e^{-3x}[/tex] let u=e^x so du=e^x dx

so [tex]\int u^{-3} du[/tex]

=[tex]-\frac{1}{2}e^{-2x}+c[/tex]

Thanks,
Casey
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake in the first line, however, it is easy to fix the resulting steps. It should be [itex]e^x \times e^{-5x}[/itex]. I think your method works, however, I think the substitution [itex]u = -4x[/itex] is much easier.

Also, remember that you can check to see if your answer is correct by taking the derivative at the end.
 
[tex]\int e^{-4x} dx\\ = \int e^{-x} *e^{-3x}[/tex]

you forgot the negative sign on [tex]e^x[/tex].

But as mattmns above me suggested, just use u = -4x
 
mattmns said:
You made a mistake in the first line, however, it is easy to fix the resulting steps. It should be [itex]e^x \times e^{-5x}[/itex]. I think your method works, however, I think the substitution [itex]u = -4x[/itex] is much easier.

Also, remember that you can check to see if your answer is correct by taking the derivative at the end.

Oh yeah..it's not a power to a power.

I did it both ways, and yes they are equal,...and u=-4x is easier.

[tex]-\frac{1}{4}e^{-4x}[/tex]

Thanks,
Casey