Solve the given problem that involves integration

In summary, the problem asks for an equation that calculates the derivative of a function with respect to a variable, u. Using partial fractions, i have found that...Using partial fractions (repeated factor), i have found that...Partial fractions is one way to evaluate the derivative of a function with respect to a variable, u. The four lines below are not relevant to the problem.Not "also" -- below is what the problem is asking you to do.In addition to the substitutions above, you should include these:##e^x = u + 2##and ##dx = \frac{du}{e^x} = \frac {du}{u + 2
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached.
Relevant Equations
Integration
1686714379220.png

For part (a),

Using partial fractions (repeated factor), i have...

##7e^x -8 = A(e^x-2)+B##

##A=7##

##-2A+B=-8, ⇒B=6##

$$\int {\frac{7e^x-8}{(e^x-2)^2}}dx=\int \left[{\frac{7}{e^x-2}}+{\frac{6}{(e^x-2)^2}}\right]dx$$

##u=e^x-2##
##du=e^x dx##
##dx=\dfrac{du}{e^x}##

also

##u=e^x-2##

##e^x=u+2##

$$\int {\frac{7e^x-8}{(e^x-2)^2}}dx=\int \left[{\frac{7}{e^x-2}}+{\frac{6}{(e^x-2)^2}}\right]=\int \left[{\frac{7u+6}{(e^x-2)^2}}\dfrac{du}{e^x}\right]=\int \left[{\frac{7u+6}{u^2(u+2)}}du\right]$$

...part b later...taking a break.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement: See attached.
Relevant Equations: Integration

View attachment 327853

For part (a),

Using partial fractions (repeated factor), i have...
Partial fractions is one way to evaluate the integral, but that's not what the problem is asking you to do. The four lines below are not relevant to the problem.
chwala said:
##7e^x -8 = A(e^x-2)+B##
##A=7##
##-2A+B=-8, ⇒B=6##

$$\int {\frac{7e^x-8}{(e^x-2)^2}}dx=\int \left[{\frac{7}{e^x-2}}+{\frac{6}{(e^x-2)^2}}\right]dx$$

##u=e^x-2##
##du=e^x dx##
##dx=\dfrac{du}{e^x}##
also
Not "also" -- below is what the problem is asking you to do.

In addition to the substitutions above, you should include these:
##e^x = u + 2##
and ##dx = \frac{du}{e^x} = \frac {du}{u + 2}##
chwala said:
##u=e^x-2##
##e^x=u+2##

$$\int {\frac{7e^x-8}{(e^x-2)^2}}dx=\int \left[{\frac{7}{e^x-2}}+{\frac{6}{(e^x-2)^2}}\right]=\int \left[{\frac{7u+6}{(e^x-2)^2}}\dfrac{du}{e^x}\right]=\int \left[{\frac{7u+6}{u^2(u+2)}}du\right]$$

...part b later...taking a break.
With the substitutions I added, you can replace everything involving ##e^x## and ##dx## in the starting integral with their equivalents in terms of u and du, in one step.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
Partial fractions is one way to evaluate the integral, but that's not what the problem is asking you to do. The four lines below are not relevant to the problem.

##e^x = u + 2##

With the substitutions I added, you can replace everything involving ##e^x## and ##dx## in the starting integral with their equivalents in terms of u and du, in one step.
I will check this out. Thanks.

Mark44 said:

##e^x = u + 2##

True, the first part did not require partial fractions...it was straightforward...need to stop overthinking :cool: ...cheers @Mark44

...but part (b) will require thato0)...working on it.

for part (b) i have,

$$\int \dfrac{7u+6}{u^2(u+2)} du = \int\left[\dfrac{-2}{u+2}+ \dfrac{2}{u}+\dfrac{3}{u^2}\right]du$$

$$=\left[-2\ln (u+2) + 2 \ln u-\dfrac{3}{u}\right]$$

$$=\left[-2\ln e^x + 2 \ln (e^x-2)-\dfrac{3}{e^x-2}\right]$$

on applying the limits i end up with,

$$=\left[2\ln 4-2\ln 6-\dfrac{3}{4}\right] -\left[2\ln 2-2\ln 4-\dfrac{3}{2}\right]$$

$$=\left[\ln \dfrac{4}{9}-\ln \dfrac{1}{4}-\dfrac{3}{4}+\dfrac{3}{2}\right]$$

$$=\left[\ln \dfrac{16}{9}+\dfrac{3}{4}\right]$$

Bingo!

insight welcome guys!!

Last edited:

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to calculate the total value or quantity of something that is constantly changing, such as velocity or volume.

2. How do I solve an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you need to follow certain steps. First, identify the function that needs to be integrated. Then, use integration rules and techniques to simplify the function. Finally, use the limits of integration to find the exact value of the integral.

3. What are some common integration rules and techniques?

Some common integration rules and techniques include the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These rules and techniques can help simplify complex functions and make them easier to integrate.

4. Can integration be used in real-life applications?

Yes, integration is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve in physics and engineering, finding the total cost or revenue in business and economics, and determining the amount of medication in a patient's bloodstream in medicine.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with integration problems?

Yes, there are many tools and software available that can help with integration problems, such as Wolfram Alpha, Symbolab, and Desmos. These tools can provide step-by-step solutions and graphing capabilities to make solving integration problems easier.