Can someone Equilibrium/friction

• Thread starter mslena79
  • Start date
In summary: Fs(max)=(0.560)(88.9N)=49.8N Fy=88.9N-49.8N=39.1N Fx=(39.1N)/(cos(40))=51.0N sqrt{39.1^2+51.0^2}=F F=64.3N b) 88.9N +49.8 N=138.7N=FyFx=(138.7N)/(cos(40))=181.06Nsqrt{138.7^2+181
mslena79
[bQuestion Details:

I am having trouble answering this question.

The drawing shows a block against a vertical wall to its right. The force F is pointed at the lower left hand corner of the block at 40.0 deg. left of -y-axis

The weight of the block in the drawing is 88.9N. The coefficient of the static friction between the block and the vertical wall is 0.560. a)What minimum force F is required to prevent the block from sliding down the wall? b) What minimum force F is required to start the block moving up the wall?

Here is my attempt at it--

a) Fs(max)=(0.560)(88.9N)=49.8N
Fy=88.9N-49.8N=39.1N
Fx=(39.1N)/(cos(40))=51.0N
sqrt{39.1^2+51.0^2}=F
F=64.3N

b) 88.9N +49.8 N=138.7N=Fy
Fx=(138.7N)/(cos(40))=181.06N
sqrt{138.7^2+181.06^2}=F
F=228N

But it doesn't seem right!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fs(max)=(0.560)(88.9N)=49.8N
This is incorrect.

The friction between the block and wall is not dependent on the weight, which is pointing downward with gravity and parallel with the wall.

The friction is related to [itex]\mu[/itex]Fx, which is perpendicular or normal to the wall.

a) Weight acts down, Fy acts up, and Fs acts _________?

b) Weight acts down, Fy acts up, and Fs acts _________?

a) Fs acts up
b)Fs acts down
The problem is I'm not sure how to get Fs from the normal force in the x direction from the wall.

mslena79 said:
a) Fs acts up
b)Fs acts down
The problem is I'm not sure how to get Fs from the normal force in the x direction from the wall.
Sure you do!

One simply resolves F into its x and y components.

Fx = F sin [itex]\theta[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle with the y-axis or vertical. If one selected the angle with the x-axis or horizontal, then one would use cos instead of sin.

then Fy = F cos [itex]\theta[/itex]

We know [itex]\mu[/itex] = 0.56 and we know the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] = 40°, and we know how to find Fs.

Write the equations for the forces expressed in parts a and b.

a)Fs=[tex]\mu[/tex]sFn
Fn=F(cos40)
Fs=(.560)(F(cos40))
Fs-mg+F(sin40)=0
F(0.560*cos(40)+sin(40))=88.9N
F=82.9N

b)-Fs-mg+F(sin(40))=0
F(sin(40)-(.560*cos(40))=88.9N
F=415.4N

answer for b doesn't seem right.

You post the same question twice??

I believe I gave you a good answer:
Here

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system. It occurs when all forces acting on an object or system are equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How does friction affect equilibrium?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can affect equilibrium by creating an opposing force that must be balanced in order to maintain the state of equilibrium.

3. Can friction ever be completely eliminated in a system?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate friction in a system. However, it can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, lubricants, or by reducing the contact area between surfaces.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact equilibrium?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It directly affects the magnitude of the opposing force that must be balanced in order to maintain equilibrium. Higher coefficients of friction require greater forces to maintain equilibrium.

5. Can changes in temperature affect equilibrium and friction?

Yes, changes in temperature can affect equilibrium and friction. For example, as temperature increases, the molecules of a material may move faster, leading to a decrease in friction. This can impact the equilibrium of a system by changing the forces acting on it.