Can someone explain this can't understand notation

In summary, the general equation for rotation of a rigid body in three dimensions about an arbitrary origin O with axes x, y, z involves the sum of torques on the system, the moment of inertia tensor, angular velocity, total mass, position of the center of mass, and time. This equation is further explained in the article "Rigid-body dynamics" on StateMaster.com.
carrotstien
from wikipedia for
"The most general equation for rotation of a rigid body in three dimensions about an arbitrary origin O with axes x, y, z is"...
13zad5d.jpg

i thought that the sum of the torques on a system is just equal to d/dt(L)=d/dt(Iw)...apparently not - but i can't understand the notation like, what is b, G..etc

Physics news on Phys.org
This article explains it better:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Rigid-body-dynamics

I is the moment of inertia tensor
ω is the angular velocity (a vector)
ωq is the angular velocity about axis q.
M is the total mass.
bG/O is the vector from O to the body's center of mass.
RO is the position of O.
t is time.
τO,j is one of the N moments about O.

Sure, I can try to explain the notation used in the Wikipedia article you mentioned.

Firstly, the equation you mentioned about the sum of torques on a system is correct. However, it is a simplified version and applies to a specific case of a rigid body rotating about a fixed axis. The more general equation for rotation of a rigid body takes into account rotations about an arbitrary origin and axes, and therefore has more variables and notation involved.

Let's break down the equation and notation step by step.

"The most general equation for rotation of a rigid body in three dimensions about an arbitrary origin O with axes x, y, z is":

- "most general equation" means that this equation applies to any type of rotation of a rigid body, not just a specific case.
- "rotation of a rigid body in three dimensions" refers to the movement of a rigid body in three-dimensional space.
- "about an arbitrary origin O" means that the rotation is not limited to a fixed point or axis, but can occur around any point O in space.
- "with axes x, y, z" refers to the three axes (x, y, and z) that define the orientation of the rigid body.

Now, let's look at the actual equation:

L = Iω

- L represents the angular momentum of the rigid body, which is a measure of its rotational motion.
- I represents the moment of inertia of the rigid body, which is a measure of how its mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.
- ω represents the angular velocity of the rigid body, which is the rate of change of its orientation with respect to time.

The equation basically states that the angular momentum of a rigid body is equal to its moment of inertia multiplied by its angular velocity.

Next, let's look at the variables you mentioned: b and G.

- b represents the position vector of the center of mass of the rigid body with respect to the origin O. This vector is used to calculate the moment of inertia.
- G represents the angular momentum of the rigid body with respect to the origin O. This is related to the angular momentum L mentioned earlier, but takes into account the position of the center of mass.

I hope this helps to clarify the notation and equation for you. Keep in mind that this is a complex topic and may require further reading and understanding. Don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed.

1. What is notation in science?

Notation in science refers to a set of symbols, numbers, or mathematical expressions used to represent and communicate scientific concepts and data. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. Why is notation important in science?

Notation allows scientists to communicate complex ideas and data in a standardized and concise manner. It also helps to simplify and organize information, making it easier to understand and analyze.

3. Can you give an example of notation in science?

An example of notation in science is the use of mathematical symbols, such as +, -, x, and ÷, to represent operations in a mathematical equation. Another example is the use of chemical symbols, such as H2O for water and CO2 for carbon dioxide.

4. How can I improve my understanding of notation in science?

One way to improve understanding of notation in science is to practice using it and familiarize yourself with common symbols and expressions. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups to help clarify any confusion.

5. Is notation the same in all branches of science?

No, notation can vary slightly between different branches of science. For example, the notation used in mathematics may differ from that used in chemistry. However, there are some commonly used symbols and expressions that are consistent across various scientific fields.