1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone please explain what plate-out is/means?

1. Nov 24, 2015 #1
    When someone says "plate-out" what exactly do they mean? Here is my incomplete understanding, so please correct me:

-"Plate-out" refers to the deposition of daughter products of a radioisotope onto the surface of another material. For example, one might say "I am measuring the plate-out rate of radon-222 progeny onto copper."

Is that right? If so, if someone said "I am measuring the radon plate-out rate onto copper," do they really mean to say the aforementioned sentence? (probably)

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2
    Of course plating can be done with materials other than radioisotopes.

I think you would need to interpret the phrase in context. If it is what you suppose, then the plate-out would be the thickness of the plating. So the plate-out rate would be in units of µM/hour, µM/minute, or such.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook