Can someone show me how this would turn out

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the value and nature of the number \left(\frac{10}{3}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}} and whether it is rational or irrational. The speaker also asks for help in working out the problem and shares their thoughts on the irrationality of the number. The summary concludes that the number is irrational and cannot be accurately represented by a calculator due to its infinite decimal representation.
thomas49th
What would this number be?
[tex](3\frac{1}{3})^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
Is it rational or irational?

How do you work it out?

[tex]\frac{10}{3}^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
What would this number be?
[tex](3\frac{1}{3})^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
Is it rational or irational?

How do you work it out?

[tex]\frac{10}{3}^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Your answer should be [tex]\left(\frac{10}{3}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Do you think it is rational or irrational?

I THINK it's irrational, because it look ugly. Isn't it [tex]2\sqrt{\frac{10}{3}}[/tex]

As you put the denominator as the surd outside thingy (wot ever it's called) and the rest inside the root. On a calculator it gives me 2.108185... which is a real number, and virtually all real numbers are irrational?

P.S How do i tell on a calculator if the number is real or not. It could stop after 50 places, and my calculator only goes to 11

You can't. ALL numbers a calculator deals with are rational and so, in general, only approximately the number you want.

In general, if a rational number is not the ratio of two perfect squares, i.e. m2/n2, then its square root is not rational.

1. How can I predict the outcome of an experiment or study?

There is no guaranteed way to predict the exact outcome of an experiment or study. However, by carefully designing and conducting the experiment, analyzing the data, and considering potential variables and biases, scientists can make informed predictions about the possible outcomes.

2. Can someone show me how to use statistical analysis to determine an outcome?

Statistical analysis is a complex and specialized skill that requires training and expertise. While it can be useful in determining the likelihood of an outcome, it is not a foolproof method and should be used carefully and in conjunction with other methods of analysis.

3. How can I know if the results of a study are reliable?

To assess the reliability of a study's results, it is important to look at the study's methodology, data collection and analysis methods, and potential sources of bias. Additionally, studies that have been peer-reviewed and replicated by other researchers can be considered more reliable.

4. What are some factors that can affect the outcome of an experiment or study?

There are many factors that can affect the outcome of an experiment or study, such as the study design, sample size, measurement techniques, and potential sources of bias. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and control these factors in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.

5. Can someone show me how to interpret the results of a study?

Interpreting the results of a study requires knowledge and understanding of the study's purpose, methodology, and statistical analysis. It is also important to consider the limitations of the study and potential alternative explanations for the results. Scientists often collaborate and consult with colleagues to ensure accurate interpretation of study results.