Plotting points in three-dimensional space

In summary, Four points are given, three of which are plotted in 3D space, and the fourth is plotted in 2D space. The order and relative spacing of ##P', Q', R'##, and ##S'## are the same as those of ##P, Q, R## and ##S##.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1683080471365.png
The four points are,
##P(8,2,6)##
##R(-2,16,-2)##
##Q(3.9,2)##
##S(\frac{14}{3}, \frac{20}{3}, \frac{10}{3})##

And the solution is,
1683080840048.png

However, does someone please know what in the proportion 2:1:3 mean?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
However, does someone please know what in the proportion 2:1:3 mean?
1683084109408.png

Likes ChiralSuperfields
renormalize said:
Thank you for your reply @renormalize !

I guess I can see where the comes from if we use a ruler to find the ratio.

However, how dose one know that without the drawing?

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
You are given the ##(x,y,z)## coordinates of each of the 4 points ##P,Q,R,S##. Can you can plot them in 3D space to see where they fall along the line? Do you know how to subtract two vectors to get their difference vector? And can you calculate the length of the difference vector to get the distance between the tips of those two vectors? (P.S.: "does" not "dose".)

Likes scottdave and ChiralSuperfields
renormalize said:
You are given the ##(x,y,z)## coordinates of each of the 4 points ##P,Q,R,S##. Can you can plot them in 3D space to see where they fall along the line? Do you know how to subtract two vectors to get their difference vector? And can you calculate the length of the difference vector to get the distance between the tips of those two vectors? (P.S.: "does" not "dose".)
Thank you for your reply @renormalize !

True it would be hard to tell which points are in which order if we did not graph the points in 3D space. Oh I now see. So if we find the magnitude of the difference vector between adjacent points then we should be able to find the ratio between them.

Many thanks!

Likes scottdave and renormalize
ChiralSuperfields said:
True it would be hard to tell which points are in which order if we did not graph the points in 3D space. Oh I now see. So if we find the magnitude of the difference vector between adjacent points then we should be able to find the ratio between them.
To help get the ordering, you can also find the distances between pairs of non-adjacent points. For example, the pair of points with the biggest distance between them must be at the ends.

To simplify the arithmetic, a 'trick' you could use is to change all coordinate-scales by a factor of 3 to get rid of the thirds.
##S' = (3*\frac{14}{3}, 3*\frac{20}{3}, 3*\frac{10}{3}) = (14, 20, 10)##
##P' = (3*8,3*2,3*6) = (24, 6, 18)##
etc.

The order and relative spacing of ##P', Q', R'##, and ##S'## are the same as those of ##P, Q, R## and ##S##. But you don't have to work with the messy thirds. (But if you are not completely clear why that works, stick to using thirds.)

EDIT. A simpler way to get the order is to find how far each point is from the origin.
That won't always work, so struck-through.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
:H

• Haha
Likes ChiralSuperfields, SammyS and Steve4Physics
I had fun plotting things -- and, being lazy, realized a 3D plot isn't necessary: 2D, e.g. the projection on the XY plane, is already enough:

1683127913287.png

1683127943610.png

##\ ##

Likes ChiralSuperfields and Steve4Physics
BvU said:
I had fun plotting things -- and, being lazy, realized a 3D plot isn't necessary: 2D, e.g. the projection on the XY plane, is already enough
In fact 1D is enough! Only the x-coordinates are required to answer the question. (Or alternatively, only the y or only the z ones.)

Likes ChiralSuperfields and BvU

1. How do I plot points in three-dimensional space?

To plot points in three-dimensional space, you will need to use a three-dimensional coordinate system. This includes an x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis. Each point will have three coordinates: (x, y, z). You can plot these points on a graph or use software such as MATLAB or Python to plot them.

2. What is the purpose of plotting points in three-dimensional space?

Plotting points in three-dimensional space allows us to visualize and understand data that has three variables. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to represent three-dimensional objects and their relationships.

3. How do I interpret points in three-dimensional space?

In three-dimensional space, each point represents a unique location in space. The x-coordinate represents the horizontal position, the y-coordinate represents the vertical position, and the z-coordinate represents the depth. By plotting multiple points, you can see the relationships and patterns between them.

4. How do I plot a line or curve in three-dimensional space?

To plot a line or curve in three-dimensional space, you will need to have at least two points. You can then connect these points to create a line or use a mathematical equation to plot a curve. Alternatively, you can use software to plot lines and curves in three-dimensional space.

5. What are some common mistakes when plotting points in three-dimensional space?

Some common mistakes when plotting points in three-dimensional space include not labeling the axes, not using a consistent scale, and not plotting points accurately. It is important to also pay attention to the orientation of the graph and make sure it accurately represents the data. Additionally, it is important to consider the context of the data and choose an appropriate scale for each axis.