Can the kinetic energy of a system be negative?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
parwana
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Can the kinetic energy of a system be negative? Explain why or why not?

Also I know gravitational potential energy of a system can be negative but I need a better explanation on why it is so.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for kinetic energy? What about it helps you answer the question?

Potential energy (gravitational, voltege, etc.) is relative to some datum. How does that help you answer the 2nd question?


PS -- I'm moving this thread to the Homework forums.
 
It is best to look at the definitions, they provide good explanations. :smile:
 
I am just trying to understand the concept behind these. I guess Kinetic Energy can be negative if the velocity is negative. Also Potential energy can be negative due to g being negative.

Can someone explain these in greater details.
 
How can the KE be negative, given the simple form involving an object's mass and velocity?
 
by the way, if the velocity is negative, it doesn't make KE negative, since the equations for KE is (.5)(m)(v)^2. So if v is negative, it turns positive.