Angular momentum operators on a wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses the wave function of a particle in a certain state and the probabilities of different measurement outcomes for angular momentum and spin. The wave function is found and normalized, and the probabilities for different measurement outcomes are calculated using the definitions of angular momentum and spin. The expectation value for S^2 is found, but the uncertainty cannot be determined. When measuring the x component of total spin, there is difficulty in finding the outcomes and probabilities due to the nature of the spins. Further clarification and understanding is needed in this area.
gasar8

Homework Statement

Particle is in a state with wave function [itex]\psi (r) = A z (x+y)e^{-\lambda r}.[/itex]
a) What is the probability that the result of the [itex]L_z[/itex] measurement is 0?
b) What are possilble results and what are their probabilities of a [itex]L^2[/itex] measurement?
c) What are possilble results and what are their probabilities of a [itex]L_x[/itex] measurement?

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I tried to write wave function in spherical harmonics form:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\psi (r) &= \alpha z (x+y); \ \ \alpha= A e^{-\lambda r}\\ &= \alpha r \cos\theta (r \sin\theta\cos\phi+r \sin\theta \sin \phi)\\ &= \alpha r^2 \cos\theta \sin \theta (\cos\phi + \sin \phi) \\ &=\alpha r^2\cos\theta \sin\theta((\frac{1}{2}+\frac{i}{2})e^{-i \phi}+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i}{2})e^{i \phi}) \\ &= -{\alpha \over 2} r^2 \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{15}} ((1+i)Y_{2,-1}+(1-i)Y_{2,1})
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Then, I normalized this function:
[tex] |\psi,r\rangle = {\alpha \over {2c}} r^2 \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{15}} ((1+i) c Y_{2,-1}+(1-i) c Y_{2,1}) \\ \Longrightarrow c^2 |(1+i)|^2+c^2 |(1-i)|^2=1 \\ c={1 \over 2}[/tex]
So finally, I get my wave function:
[tex]\psi (r) = \alpha r^2 \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{15}} ({1 \over 2}(1+i) Y_{2,-1}+{1 \over 2}(1-i)Y_{2,1})[/tex]
Can someone check this normalization, I am not sure if I did it correctly?

a) Form definition [itex]L_z|l,m\rangle=\hbar m |l,m\rangle[/itex] I can't get 0 as a result, because there isn't any element of a wave function with m=0. So the answer is 0 probability.

b) Form definition [itex]L^2|l,m\rangle=\hbar^2 l(l+1) |l,m\rangle[/itex] I can only get the result [itex]6 \hbar^2[/itex] with 100% probability, since [itex]l[/itex] is in both elements of a wave function 2.

c) Form definition [itex]L_x|l,m\rangle=\frac{L_+ + L_-}{2} |l,m\rangle[/itex], I get:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
L_+ |2,1\rangle &= 2 \hbar |2,2\rangle \\
L_+ |2,-1\rangle &= \sqrt{6} \hbar |2,0\rangle \\
L_- |2,1\rangle &= \sqrt{6} \hbar |2,0\rangle \\
L_- |2,-1\rangle &= 2 \hbar |2,-2\rangle\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\Longrightarrow L_x |2,1\rangle &= \hbar (|2,2\rangle + \frac{\sqrt{6}}{2} |2,0\rangle)\\
\Longrightarrow L_x |2,-1\rangle &= \hbar (|2,-2\rangle + \frac{\sqrt{6}}{2} |2,0\rangle)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

So the possible results are [itex]\hbar[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\sqrt{6}}{2} \hbar[/itex]? But how can I now find their probabilities? I tried to write:
[tex]L_x |\psi\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{15}} \alpha \hbar r^2(\frac{1+i}{2}(|2,2\rangle+{\sqrt{6} \over2} |2,0\rangle)+\frac{1-i}{2}(|2,-2\rangle +{\sqrt{6} \over2} |2,0\rangle)), [/tex]
but the squares of absolute values of coefficients are above 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
gasar8 said:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\psi (r) &= \alpha z (x+y); \ \ \alpha= A e^{-\lambda r}\\ &= \alpha r \cos\theta (r \sin\theta\cos\phi+r \sin\theta \sin \phi)\\ &= \alpha r^2 \cos\theta \sin \theta (\cos\phi + \sin \phi) \\ &=\alpha r^2\cos\theta \sin\theta((\frac{1}{2}+\frac{i}{2})e^{-i \phi}+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i}{2})e^{i \phi}) \\ &= -{\alpha \over 2} r^2 \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{15}} ((1+i)Y_{2,-1}+(1-i)Y_{2,1})
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Be careful with the sign in the last line.

gasar8 said:
Then, I normalized this function:
[tex] |\psi,r\rangle = {\alpha \over {2c}} r^2 \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{15}} ((1+i) c Y_{2,-1}+(1-i) c Y_{2,1}) \\ \Longrightarrow c^2 |(1+i)|^2+c^2 |(1-i)|^2=1 \\ c={1 \over 2}[/tex]
So finally, I get my wave function:
[tex]\psi (r) = \alpha r^2 \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{15}} ({1 \over 2}(1+i) Y_{2,-1}+{1 \over 2}(1-i)Y_{2,1})[/tex]
Can someone check this normalization, I am not sure if I did it correctly?
I don't understand what you did here. Actually, compare that last line with the last line above; do you see any difference? Also, what about ##\alpha## (and the ##A## it contains)?

Likes gasar8
Aha, I forgot that [itex]Y_l^{-m}=(-1)^m Y_l^m[/itex], so I get:
[tex]
|\psi\rangle = {\alpha \over 2} r^2 \sqrt{\frac{8 \pi}{15}} \big((1+i)Y_2^{-1}-(1-i)Y_2^{1}\big)
[/tex]

Ok, here I tried something we did at lectures, but apparently I didn't understand it well. So if I go the long way:
[tex]
\langle \psi,r | \psi,r \rangle = \frac{A A^\ast e^{-2\lambda r}}{4} {8\pi \over 15}\bigg[ \big((1-i) \langle 2, -1| - (1+i)\langle 2,1|)((1+i)|2,1\rangle-(1-i)|2,1\rangle \big) \bigg] =1\\
\frac{2 A A^\ast \pi}{15}e^{-2\lambda r} (2+2) = 1\\
|A|=\sqrt{\frac{15}{8 \pi}}e^{-\lambda r}
[/tex]
So I get my wave function:
[tex]|\psi\rangle={r^2 \over 2} \bigg[(1+i) Y_2^{-1}-(1-i)Y_2^1\bigg].[/tex]

EDIT: Forgot square root over fraction in [itex]|A|[/itex].

Last edited:
I've got one similar exercise, but instead of angular momentum I've got spins. And I've got the same problems at [itex]S_x[/itex] measurements.
So the exercise goes:
We have got two particles with [itex]S_1=1[/itex] and [itex]S_2=1[/itex]. We know that [itex]S_{1z}|\psi_1\rangle=\hbar |\psi_1\rangle[/itex] and [itex] S_{2x}|\psi_2\rangle = \hbar |\psi_2\rangle. [/itex]

a) Find wave function [itex]|\psi_1\rangle[/itex] in [itex]S_{1z}[/itex] basis and [itex]|\psi_2\rangle[/itex] in [itex]S_{2z}[/itex] basis.
b) We measure [itex]S^2[/itex] of total spin. What are possible outcomes and what are their probabilities?
c) Find expectation value and uncertainty of [itex]S^2[/itex].
d) We measure x component of total spin. What are possible outcomes and what are their probabilities?a) [itex]|\psi_1\rangle = |11\rangle \\ |\psi_2\rangle = {1 \over 2} |1-1\rangle + {1 \over \sqrt{2}} |10\rangle+ {1 \over 2} |11\rangle.[/itex] Can someone just check this?
b)[tex]
\begin{align*}
|\psi_{12}\rangle&={1 \over 2}|1\rangle|-1\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{2}} |1\rangle|0\rangle+{1 \over 2}|1\rangle|1\rangle=\\
&={1 \over \sqrt{24}}|20\rangle+{1 \over \sqrt{12}}|00\rangle+{1 \over 2}|21\rangle+{1 \over 2}|11\rangle+{1 \over 2}|22\rangle
\end{align*}
[/tex]
For [itex]S^2|\psi_{12}\rangle=\hbar^2 s(s+1)|\psi_{12}\rangle,[/itex] we get:
[tex]
\begin{align*}
&Results \ \ \ \ &Probability\\
&6\hbar^2 &{13\over24}\\
&2\hbar^2 &{3 \over 8}\\
&0 &{1 \over 12}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

c) Expectation value is [itex]\langle S^2 \rangle = \langle \psi|S^2|\psi\rangle=4\hbar^2,[/itex] but I can't find uncertainty? I am thinking in this way:
[tex]\delta_{S^2}=\sqrt{\langle S^2\rangle- \langle S \rangle ^2} or \\
\delta_{S^2}=\sqrt{\langle S^4\rangle- \langle S^2 \rangle ^2}?[/tex]

d) Now, same problem as at the angular momentum. How do I find outcomes and probabilities? I tried with [itex]S_x=\frac{S_++S_-}{2}[/itex], but got some weird result, from which I can't find anything (As mentioned - like at angular momentum in previous post). Then I was thinking about Pauli matrices, so that possible outcomes would be [itex]\pm {\hbar \over 2}[/itex], but how can I apply this matrix to my wavefunction of 1x1 spins. I found something on wiki for such spins and tried but got nothing... (This two attempts are in my handwriting downthere):
20160825172007.jpg

1. What is the definition of angular momentum operators on a wave function?

The angular momentum operators on a wave function are mathematical operators used to describe the angular momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics. They are represented by the symbols Lx, Ly, and Lz and act on the wave function to determine the angular momentum in each direction.

2. How do angular momentum operators affect the wave function?

Angular momentum operators change the wave function by rotating it in space, which affects the orientation and magnitude of the angular momentum of the particle. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum operators and the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Similarly, angular momentum operators also follow the uncertainty principle, where it is impossible to know the exact angular momentum in each direction at the same time. This is due to the mathematical properties of the operators.

4. How are angular momentum operators used in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum operators are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior and properties of particles on a microscopic scale. They are essential in determining the angular momentum of a particle, which is a fundamental quantity in quantum mechanics that affects the energy states and behavior of particles.

5. Can angular momentum operators be measured directly?

No, angular momentum operators cannot be measured directly. They are mathematical operators that act on the wave function and cannot be observed directly. However, their effects on the wave function and the resulting measurements can be observed and calculated in experiments.