Can the pressure of liquid air/gas can be increased?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pranj5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Liquid Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
pranj5
Messages
385
Reaction score
5
I want to know whether like liquid water or other liquids available at normal temperature and pressure, can the pressure of liquid air/gas be increased mechanically? If yes, then what kind of machinery can do the job? I am asking the question here not on the theoretical part, but on the practical aspect.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Options are to increase the mass of fluid within a fixed container, or to decrease the size of a container with a fixed mass of fluid. Either would increase the pressure of the fluid.

Practically speaking, this means you can either:
  • Pump the fluid into a fixed volume container, the more fluid you pump in the higher the pressure (requires a high-static-pressure pump). This might be the more common method because it can support continuous flow.
  • Compress the fluid in a container which can change size, like for example a piston-cylinder combination.
 
I can understand the principle. But, problem is what kind of machinery can perform at such low temperature.
 
pranj5 said:
I can understand the principle. But, problem is what kind of machinery can perform at such low temperature.
What low temperature? Liquid water is not a very low temperature.