Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the pressure of liquid air/gas can be increased?

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    I want to know whether like liquid water or other liquids available at normal temperature and pressure, can the pressure of liquid air/gas be increased mechanically? If yes, then what kind of machinery can do the job? I am asking the question here not on the theoretical part, but on the practical aspect.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Options are to increase the mass of fluid within a fixed container, or to decrease the size of a container with a fixed mass of fluid. Either would increase the pressure of the fluid.

Practically speaking, this means you can either:
    • Pump the fluid into a fixed volume container, the more fluid you pump in the higher the pressure (requires a high-static-pressure pump). This might be the more common method because it can support continuous flow.
    • Compress the fluid in a container which can change size, like for example a piston-cylinder combination.

5. Sep 20, 2016 #4
    I can understand the principle. But, problem is what kind of machinery can perform at such low temperature.

6. Sep 20, 2016 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Sep 20, 2016 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What low temperature? Liquid water is not a very low temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted