Why is air in atmospheric pressure and room temperature a gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of critical temperature and pressure and their effects on the behavior of a pure substance. It also delves into the question of whether air can be treated as an ideal gas under normal conditions and the role of the compressibility factor in this approximation.
Carbon273
This seems like a simple thermodynamics question but I would like clarification. So the absolute critical temperature is 132.5 K (-221.17 F) and the absolute critical pressure is 3.77Mpa (546.7 psi). I understand that for temperatures above the critical point, a pure substance undergoes an illusionary single phase process. The critical point is denoted as the change from a saturated liquid to a saturated vapor state at a single state under a high temperature and high pressure for a particular fluid. I understand this change is indiscernible since it a happens at a single state. Upon learning this, I brainstormed on whether air on normal conditions is treated as an ideal gas since the atm pressure is significantly lower than the critical pressure and the room temperature is significantly higher than the critical temperature. My confusions stems if this is the right intuition or not. Am I proceeding with the correct though process?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you asking why it is a gas or why it can be approximated at room conditions as an ideal gas?

Chestermiller said:
Are you asking why it is a gas or why it can be approximated at room conditions as an ideal gas?

I am asking why it can be approximated this way. I did some research and I am wondering if the compressibility factor plays a role if you normalized the properties?

Carbon273 said:
I am asking why it can be approximated this way. I did some research and I am wondering if the compressibility factor plays a role if you normalized the properties?
Sure. From a correspond states plot of the z compressibility factor, the compressibility factor for air at room conditions is very close to 1.0

1. Why is air considered a gas?

Air is considered a gas because it is a mixture of gases, primarily nitrogen and oxygen, which do not have a fixed shape or volume. This means that air molecules are able to move freely and fill the space they are in, making it a gas.

2. Why is air in atmospheric pressure?

Air is in atmospheric pressure because of the weight of the air above it. The Earth's atmosphere exerts a force on all objects within it, including air molecules. This force, known as atmospheric pressure, is what keeps air molecules close to the Earth's surface.

3. Why is air at room temperature?

Air is at room temperature because it is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. This means that the average kinetic energy of air molecules is the same as the average kinetic energy of the molecules in the room. At room temperature, the average kinetic energy of air molecules is high enough for them to remain in a gaseous state.

4. Why does air expand when heated?

Air expands when heated because the increase in temperature causes the air molecules to move faster and farther apart. This results in an increase in volume, as the molecules need more space to move around in. This is known as thermal expansion.

5. Why does air have a lower density at higher altitudes?

Air has a lower density at higher altitudes because the atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing altitude. This means that there are fewer air molecules in a given volume of space at higher altitudes, resulting in a lower density. The lower density of air at higher altitudes also means that it is less able to support objects, which is why the air is thinner and breathing becomes more difficult at high altitudes.