Can the Radius of a Disk Affect the Inclined Plane Experiment Results?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Andrew187
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Hi there I was wondering if someone can help me on this attachment I am stuck on question 1.3 and 1.4. This was an experiment to see relationship between sin and gradient I have confidently completed the first two questions but it is the last two questions which are troubling with I am finding it difficult to get a grasp of. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your attempt at the question? It says you have to use conservation of energy. Think of how energy is lost, and how it is gained.
 
On my first reaction I think that g sin[itex]\Theta[/itex] is the total for the sin[itex]\Theta[/itex] from the total and r2 is the radius of the disc which in this case is 750mm but I don't understand what k2 is?
 
Just out of curiosity has anyone ever come across these questions before as I haven't covered even the basics of it in level 3 so I don't know how to tackle this problem this is a level 4 question.
 
First, you should use the moment of inertia in the solution.
If the radius of disk is 750 mm it will drag the ground unless the ramp is raised somehow.