Can the right capacitors improve audio quality in passive crossovers?

• Thread starter Tesladude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
In summary, the conversation is about the use of audio passive crossovers in electrical engineering. The person is looking for good quality components, specifically capacitors, to use in their crossover. They are also discussing the potential for distortion and the importance of having the right capacitance, tolerance, voltage, and polarity. They recommend using Quality Metalized Polypropylene Capacitors from PartsExpress for optimum audio quality.
Tesladude
Hey I am training to be an electrical engineer and am working with some audio passive crossovers just to for instance cut out the low frequencies going to a mid-range speaker.
I want some good "hi-fi" stuff!

So I know how to calculate the henerys and farads for the caps and inductors but I was wondering...

The inductors are just copper wire so they shouldn't do much but can capacitors add any kind of distortion to the audio? I know that if I don't have the right capacitance some times it can but if I use the right capacitance for my crossover can there be any distortion? Similarly to using resistors in series with your audio lines, slight fuz or change in audio quality.

Is there a specific type or brand that will work better?
I always see people use electrolyic caps so I assume that's what I want and not like tantalum caps or something.
Or is it just a matter of having the right capacitance, good tolerance, voltage, and bipolarness?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Quality Metalized Polypropylene Capacitors are what I used when building my last speaker crossover project. PartsExpress has a wide selection of values.
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/metalized-polypropylene-capacitors/294

What's best in audio is usually coated with snake-oil. :smile:

What are audio caps and what are they used for?

Audio caps, short for audio capacitors, are electronic components used in audio circuits to store and release electrical energy. They are used to filter out high frequency noise and provide a stable and steady flow of electricity to audio devices, resulting in improved sound quality.

What is the best type of audio cap?

The best type of audio cap depends on the specific application and personal preference. Some popular types include film capacitors, ceramic capacitors, and electrolytic capacitors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and advantages, so it's important to research and choose the one that best suits your needs.

What are the important factors to consider when choosing an audio cap?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an audio cap include capacitance, voltage rating, tolerance, and temperature coefficient. Capacitance determines how much charge the capacitor can hold, while voltage rating refers to the maximum voltage the capacitor can handle. Tolerance and temperature coefficient affect the accuracy and stability of the capacitor's performance.

How do I know if an audio cap is bad or needs to be replaced?

If an audio cap is bad, it may cause distortion, noise, or low volume in your audio system. You can use a multimeter to test the capacitance and resistance of the cap and compare it to the manufacturer's specifications. If it is significantly lower or higher, then it may need to be replaced.

Can I mix different types of audio caps in my audio system?

It is generally not recommended to mix different types of audio caps in an audio system. Each type has its own unique characteristics and mixing them can result in unpredictable or undesirable effects on the sound quality. It is best to stick with one type for consistency and better performance.