Can the speed of light be observed to be faster than c?

In summary, two parties (A and B) are signing a treaty at opposite ends of a 40.0 meter table, and a light bulb at the center of the table is used to ensure that they sign at the same time. An anxious party member traveling in a spaceship parallel to the table at a relative velocity of v = 0.95c is watching over the proceedings. According to the postulate of relativity, the speed of light is always c, so the light reaches both parties at the same time regardless of their relative velocities. This means that they sign the treaty at the same time.
moogull

Homework Statement

Two parties (A and B) are signing a treaty at opposite ends of a 40.0meter table. The two parties and very suspicious so it is important for the two to sign the documents at the same time. This is arranged when the light from a light bulb at the center of the table reaches them. However, an anxious party member from one side (say A) is watching over the proceedings and is traveling in a spaceship parallel to the table from the direction of the other party (B) at a relative velocity v = 0.95c (c=3.00E8 m/s).

a. According to the party member in the space ship, which representative signs the treaty first? What is the time interval between signings by the two representatives in this frame?

b. Suppose now the spaceship is traveling at the same speed, but opposite direction. In this case, which representative signs the treaty first?

Homework Equations

Relativistic velocity addition formula?
u' = (u - v)/(1 - (uv/c2))

Or Postulates of Relativity
Speed of light c is invariant

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my first attempt at the solution was to argue that the light reaches party B first because of the relative velocities, however according to the postulate of relativity for c, the speed of light is always c, regardless of relative velocity. So originally I had the light traveling faster than c but I don't think that is correct.

Is it possible for light to be Observed to travel faster than c if one is traveling in the opposite direction?

What I think the answer is: the light reaches the two representatives at the same time regardless of what frame is it observed in so they sign the documents at the time, is this a correct assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I don't think light can travel faster than c. Even I had the same question to my professor when I was studying waveguides. There was an equation which could show some situation where light could travel faster than C. But, we all know the basic postulate of relativity.

The speed of light will never be observed to travel faster than c. To solve this problem, you need to determine the distance that light must travel from points A and B to the moving ship. This will allow you to determine the times that it took the light to travel.

Ahhhh, gotcha gotcha, solved it! thanks!

No, it is not possible for light to be observed to travel faster than c. This is a fundamental principle of relativity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. The postulates of relativity state that the speed of light is constant and invariant, meaning it is the same for all observers regardless of their relative velocities. Therefore, in both scenarios described, the light from the center of the table will reach both parties at the same time, and they will sign the treaty simultaneously. This is true for all observers, including the party member in the spaceship traveling at 0.95c. The concept of time dilation in relativity explains why the time interval between signings may appear different to different observers, but the actual act of signing the documents will occur simultaneously for all parties involved.

1. Can any object or particle travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light (c) is the maximum speed at which any object or particle can travel. It is considered a fundamental constant of the universe.

2. Is there any evidence or experiments that suggest the speed of light can be observed as faster than c?

No, there is no evidence or experiments that suggest the speed of light can be observed as faster than c. In fact, numerous experiments have consistently shown that the speed of light is constant and cannot be exceeded.

3. What about the concept of "tachyons" that can travel faster than light?

Tachyons are theoretical particles that have not been observed or proven to exist. Even if they were real, they would not be able to travel faster than the speed of light. According to the theory of relativity, anything that has mass cannot reach the speed of light, and tachyons would have to have negative mass.

4. Can the speed of light be observed to be faster than c in different mediums?

No, the speed of light in a vacuum is always constant at c. However, in different mediums, such as water or air, the speed of light may appear to be slower due to interactions with the particles in the medium. This does not mean that the speed of light is actually faster than c in these mediums.

5. Are there any theories or loopholes that suggest the speed of light could be observed as faster than c?

No, there are no widely accepted theories or loopholes that suggest the speed of light could be observed as faster than c. The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and has consistently proven that the speed of light is the maximum speed limit in the universe.