1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the spring constant k be negative ?

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    Can the spring constant "k" be negative ?

Hi,
    I found a difficulty when solving this problem from my textbook :

In the arrangement of Figure 7-11 (which is basically a standard block attached to spring resting horizontally), we gradually pull the block from x = 0 to x = +3.0 cm, where it is stationary. Figure 7-36 gives the work that our force does on the block. We then pull the block out to x = +5.0 cm and release it from rest. How much work does the spring do on the block when the block moves from xi = +5.0 cm to (a) x = +4.0 cm, (b) x = –2.0 cm, and (c) x = –5.0 cm?

So I found the spring constant k:
    W = -0.5kx2
    0.9 = -0.5k(0.03)2
    k = -2000 N/m ??? of course it's wrong (the correct answer is 2000 N/m) but i couldn't find my mistake.
    Please help me :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Can the spring constant "k" be negative ?

Why do you have a minus sign? The work done (by you) when stretching a spring is positive.

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3

We are talking about the spring's work, if it was our work, does human being have a spring constant ? :

W=F.d.cosθ / θ=180°
    So it will be negative

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure, the spring's work will be negative. So what? The spring constant is still positive.

What makes you think that that is a diagram of the spring's work? It looks like the positive work that you do in stretching the spring.

6. Mar 25, 2012 #5

ok right so how would you answer to the problem ?

7. Mar 25, 2012 #6

ok thank you i found my mistake, thank you very much
    Kf - Ki = Wa + Ws

since it goes from rest to rest then Kf - Ki = 0j so Wa = -Ws ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook