Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Can the vacuum density produce only normal matter?

1. Jun 22, 2017 #1
    Without knowing whether WIMPs or axions or something else are what dark matter is composed of, can we speculate about the vacuum density creating only normal matter, and by what mechanism?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you mean vacuum "density" creates matter of any kind? I don't understand what you are asking.

4. Jun 22, 2017 #3
    In a vacuum such as space, matter particles can spontaneously be generated into existence and then pop out of existence just as suddenly. The vacuum density drives this, to my understanding, as "potential" energy is transformed into matter as projected by that Einstein guy. However, we can only detect this action when the new material is normal matter. Does anyone know of any theory relating to the generation of dark matter from this vacuum density? or how normal matter sub-atomic particles are generated by this vacuum energy?

5. Jun 22, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The "quantum foam" that you are describing is speculation by John Wheeler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam

6. Jun 22, 2017 #5
    Unfortunately I cannot access Wikipedia from my work computer, so I will look it up later. Thanks!

7. Jun 22, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no such process.

8. Jun 22, 2017 #7
    I may be confused, but wasn't this sort of the process that generated the first particles when there were no previous particles in the early universe as it finally cooled down enough?

9. Jun 22, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no indication that our universe was without particles at any time. The end of inflation might have produced more particles, but we don't know the composition at that point in time anyway.

10. Jun 23, 2017 #9
    mfb, I stand corrected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted