Can the vacuum density produce only normal matter?

Without knowing whether WIMPs or axions or something else are what dark matter is composed of, can we speculate about the vacuum density creating only normal matter, and by what mechanism?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Without knowing whether WIMPs or axions or something else are what dark matter is composed of, can we speculate about the vacuum density creating only normal matter, and by what mechanism?
What do you mean vacuum "density" creates matter of any kind? I don't understand what you are asking.

In a vacuum such as space, matter particles can spontaneously be generated into existence and then pop out of existence just as suddenly. The vacuum density drives this, to my understanding, as "potential" energy is transformed into matter as projected by that Einstein guy. However, we can only detect this action when the new material is normal matter. Does anyone know of any theory relating to the generation of dark matter from this vacuum density? or how normal matter sub-atomic particles are generated by this vacuum energy?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
In a vacuum such as space, matter particles can spontaneously be generated into existence and then pop out of existence just as suddenly. The vacuum density drives this, to my understanding, as "potential" energy is transformed into matter as projected by that Einstein guy. However, we can only detect this action when the new material is normal matter. Does anyone know of any theory relating to the generation of dark matter from this vacuum density? or how normal matter sub-atomic particles are generated by this vacuum energy?
The "quantum foam" that you are describing is speculation by John Wheeler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam

Unfortunately I cannot access Wikipedia from my work computer, so I will look it up later. Thanks!

In a vacuum such as space, matter particles can spontaneously be generated into existence and then pop out of existence just as suddenly. The vacuum density drives this, to my understanding, as "potential" energy is transformed into matter as projected by that Einstein guy.
There is no such process.

I may be confused, but wasn't this sort of the process that generated the first particles when there were no previous particles in the early universe as it finally cooled down enough?

There is no indication that our universe was without particles at any time. The end of inflation might have produced more particles, but we don't know the composition at that point in time anyway.

There is no indication that our universe was without particles at any time. The end of inflation might have produced more particles, but we don't know the composition at that point in time anyway.
mfb, I stand corrected.