Can There Be a Stable Figure-Eight Orbit Between Earth and the Moon?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TheAwkwardEng
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orbit Stable
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
TheAwkwardEng
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello! I don't know if this is in the right place or not. So if it's not, I won't misplace it in the future.

Anyway, I was recently thinking about the orbits of planets around Binary Stars, and was wondering if it's possible to have a similar orbit around the Earth and the Moon. Have a figure-eight like Orbit that would stay stable even with the movement of the Moon and the varying distance. Do you know if it's possible?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, sadly, because it would soon be perturbed by Sun's gravity...

On a local scale, this even applies to the nominally stable L4 & L5 positions. IIRC, they are only metastable due to solar gravity, Earth's slightly elliptical orbit, Venus & Jupiter etc etc. However, a 'halo orbit' around those geometric positions *will* survive for a long time...