Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Can there be any acceleration without mass?

1. Mar 11, 2018 #1
    So, we know that force equals mass times acceleration. A force is needed to cause an acceleration. I am wondering though, is mass required for accelerations to happen? Why or why not?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2018 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I would say yes. Anything without mass must move at c at all times. It cannot accelerate.

4. Mar 11, 2018 #3
    I don't think that this is a valid argumentation. Constant speed doesn't mean that there is no acceleration.

5. Mar 11, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It does. If the 'entity' only exists at velocity c then when would it be accelerating? It would emerge from whatever reaction/ interaction generated it at c. Slower than c and it would not be in existence.

6. Mar 11, 2018 #5
    Just a little hint: speed is constant for v·a=0.

7. Mar 11, 2018 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

But for 'rectilinear propagation'?
    Though I must say I had ignored motion in a circle. o:)

8. Mar 11, 2018 #7
    Of course linear acceleration is not possible with constant speed. However, there is Shapiro delay.

9. Mar 11, 2018 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

But the speed, measured at any point would still be c (??). Isn't that the basis of GR?

10. Mar 11, 2018 #9
    We can discuss the motion of a point under various conditions and constraints without reference to any mass at all. It makes perfect sense without reference to either force or mass.

11. Mar 12, 2018 #10
    Yes, the locally measured speed of massless objects is always c.

12. Mar 12, 2018 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

So where does this take the thread? :smile:

13. Mar 12, 2018 #12
    This seems like a nonsense statement. Suppose the point is at rest?

14. Mar 12, 2018 #13
    Which point are you talking about?

15. Mar 12, 2018 #14

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Under what circumstances could the object be at rest? What would be a 'stationary' photon be like?

16. Mar 12, 2018 #15
    If there is no mass, then all that exists there is a geometrical point. That is point of which I am speaking.

17. Mar 12, 2018 #16
    The adjective "massless" doesn't make much sense with a geometrical point. I am talking about objects that are subject to E²/c² = m²c² + p². Such objects can only be at rest with m>0 and they always move with c (locally measured) with m=0.

18. Mar 12, 2018 #17
    The adjective "massless" applied to a geometrical point makes perfect sense. What mass do you think Euclid ascribed to a point? No, the thing that is a stretch is the idea of a mass point. The latter is a useful fiction, but it really does not make rigorous sense.

19. Mar 12, 2018 #18
    No, it doesn't because geometrical points never have mass. In theory you can have a point size object with mass located at a geometrical point but not a geometrical point with mass. Therefore "massless geometrical point" is a tautology.

20. Mar 12, 2018 #19
    By all means, have it your way. This thread seems pretty pointless anyway.

21. Mar 12, 2018 #20

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Also, a photon is not a point particle. It has no defined extent so it is pretty meaningless to assume you could use a stopwatch and push the button when it goes past. Using a very mechanical model is just not appropriate.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted