Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can this in any way be considered to be a circularly polarized wave?

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Can this in any way be considered a circularly polarized wave?

Can this wave in any way be considered circularly polarized?

[itex]\overrightarrow {E}\left( z,t\right) =\left[\widehat {i}\cos \left( \omega t\right) +\widehat {j}\cos \left( wt-\dfrac {\pi } {2}\right)\right] E_{0}\sin \left( kz\right)[/itex]

I say no, since there is no twisting along the direction of propagation. If you plug in t=0 for instance, the vectors will be pointing entirely in the x axis direction.

My friend disagrees and mentions the phase shift in the y axis as evidence for circular polarization.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2
    Your friend is right - at any z location, field is circulating in direction with time. And that means a CP (circularly polarized) wave. You appear to be confusing CP with corkscrew motion that would apply to propagation down a twisted waveguide.

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply!

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4
    You're welcome - I just happened to be viewing at the time and felt the impulse to respond! :smile:

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    I should add that your expression in #1 represents a standing wave CP (sum of two counter-propagating CP waves of opposite CP polarization) not propagating one. For a single propagating CP wave, the sin(kz) term is absent and the cos(ωt), cos(ωt-π/2) arguments are replaced with cos(ωt-kz-θ), cos(ωt-π/2-kz-θ) respectively, with θ determined by the given t=0 temporal phase conditions at z=0. That may represent a LCP wave (left circularly polarized) - counterclockwise rotation of field as viewed along propagation axis with wave receding. For a RCP wave, an extra phase angle of π is added to either one, but not both, of the above arguments for cos. Convention for handedness can vary, but I believe above is the more standard one.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook