Can Traumatized Dogs Overcome Their Fears and Bond with Their New Owners?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
45 replies · 6K views
tribdog
Messages
779
Reaction score
17
I stepped outside this morning and there was a little puppy on my porch. The poor thing was just shivering like crazy and obviously terrified of me. I got a blanket and wrapped it up and brought it inside. then i went to the store to get it some food. It was still wrapped up when I got back. I got it a bowl of food and some water, but it didn't move. So I went outside for a little while and when i came back it was standing by the food. It won't move if I'm in the room. It won't take a step, but when I leave and come back it is always somewhere else. It needs a bath really bad, but I don't want to traumatize it too much. I don't want a dog, especially one that has no personality. I can't even get this one to wag its tail or sniff my fingers. I don't know if it is just really scared right now or if it is permanently traumatized. I should just call the dog catcher right now, but I won't.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Jeeze trib, give the puppy some time, it sounds terrified. Depending on how old it is, it may never have eaten dog food before. I had one puppy that I had to soak the food in warm water then feed it by placing a bit of the moist food into it's mouth with my fingertip until it finally got the idea. It hadn't been weaned yet.
 
Counter-intuitively, it might respond better if you give it more attention than less. It may need to be assured that you're here to care for it. (This doesn't mean in the long-run, just enough to stabilize it.)
 
It would be different too if it was a cute dog. Its an ugly, dirty mutt with no personality. and I'm only saying this to try to convince myself of it. I don't want a dog. I shouldn't have picked it up and fed it. I can't even take care of myself what am I going to do with another mouth to feed.
 
Its just been laying in the corner of the room for the last hour, but every time there is a noise it looks up. I just made some squeaking noises and it looked at me and gave me that twisted face look. AHHHHHHHHH! it is being cute. dammit
 
tribdog said:
It would be different too if it was a cute dog. Its an ugly, dirty mutt with no personality. and I'm only saying this to try to convince myself of it. I don't want a dog. I shouldn't have picked it up and fed it. I can't even take care of myself what am I going to do with another mouth to feed.

Too late... you already started down the slippery slope. Before you know, it will be cute, clean enough to link your fingers while you're eating, and full of unanticipated spunk.

I was lucky... the only time something similar happened to me, I soon found a home for the kitten "Boom-boom Tycho Brache." Or was I lucky? Cha-cha (pictured in my avatar) and I were just starting to get used to him.

It just might turn out to be the best day... and you sound like you know this... :biggrin:
 
P.S. we will want pics of the twisted grin up here ASAP.
 
physics girl phd said:
P.S. we will want pics of the twisted grin up here ASAP.

Even better, I'll send you the puppy.
 
tribdog said:
Its just been laying in the corner of the room for the last hour, but every time there is a noise it looks up. I just made some squeaking noises and it looked at me and gave me that twisted face look. AHHHHHHHHH! it is being cute. dammit

Too late.

Better to just go get a 50 lb bag of dog chow and stop fighting it.
 
well, it took a nap. and then woke up and ate all the food. I went outside and it was the open door that did the trick. the puppy followed me as I walked around. when I came back inside it came in. but as soon as I shut the door it froze up. now I'm sitting inside with the door open and she is running all over the place. she runs out then comes in and explores inside then runs back out. I have to leave the door open though or she freezes up again. I'll probably lose her leaving the door open, but she's not mine anyway.
 
tribdog, for crying out loud - pick up that dog and cuddle it!
 
Stop fighting it trib. You know you want to keep it.
 
I went for a walk and she followed right behind me. Then one of my neighbors came out and walked up to me and the puppy jumped in front of me and barked at her.
 
Congratulations, you now have a dog!

Can you tell what the predominant breed is?
 
tribdog said:
I went for a walk and she followed right behind me. Then one of my neighbors came out and walked up to me and the puppy jumped in front of me and barked at her.

She's your companion now.
 
Evo said:
Congratulations, you now have a dog!

Can you tell what the predominant breed is?
I can't tell for sure. If I had to guess I'd say rat.
 
Photo002.jpg
 
Is anyone here concerned about where this puppy came from?
 
want her? I'll put her in a shoebox and overnight her to you.
 
tribdog said:
want her? I'll put her in a shoebox and overnight her to you.
Yes, I do want her, I wish I could take her, but I already my 2 pet limit. :frown:
 
GCT said:
Is anyone here concerned about where this puppy came from?
You see, when a boy dog and a girl dog fall in love...