How can I help my clingy dog with separation anxiety?

  • Thread starter Thread starter turbo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 6K views
turbo-1 said:
He was abandoned by his previous owner, picked up as a stray by Animal Control several towns away from here and incarcerated in the Humane Society shelter from May until September, when we rescued him. He is a very smart dog - maybe too smart, with bad memories of this past year.

Oh, I read all your posts.

Still super cute though.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Monique said:
He's one fortunate dog to have you as an owner :smile:
Thank you Monique. It's a two-way street because he brings me a lot of joy.

I have decided that our most high-energy times should be outdoors, and at a location away from our house. A 1/2 hour of vigorous "fetch" wears him out enough so that he is less excitable when we get back home. There is a rest-area/scenic overlook on the hill next to the one we live on, and it's pretty open there, with mowed-down lawn. I put a 30' training lead on Duke's collar, but don't actually hold onto it unless we are doing some obedience training, or he gets distracted by something. I carry two tennis balls, and throw one 50-75 feet or more - he'll run it down and bring the ball back and drop it at my feet so I will throw the second ball. Good exercise for him, and I don't have to chase him around or try to grab the ball out of his mouth. The ball I have in my hand always looks more exciting to him than the one in his mouth.

Dukefetch.jpg
 
Last edited: