Can we determine the NK nuclear detonation strength?

In summary, there are conflicting reports about the magnitude and depth of a recent earthquake, with one source reporting it as 4.9 magnitude and 1 kilometer deep, while another source claims it was a 5.1 magnitude but the depth is unknown. A link to the USGS website and a news article about North Korea's nuclear test were also mentioned, along with a question about estimating the energy released during earthquakes.
mkarger
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I asked similar question back in nineties, when French did their last nuclear test. The short answer I got - from some seismologist - was "no". Too many variables.

I suppose some rough estimates on minimum and maximum value are possible. Wikipedia page on Richter scale gives something in the range of 0.5kT as an equivalent (in terms of amount of energy) of 5.0. But it is not even clear to me if the magnitude given is on the Richter scale, plus it is unlikely that all energy was used to shake the ground, so I doubt it is even a reasonable low estimate.

1. How do scientists determine the strength of a North Korean nuclear detonation?

Scientists determine the strength of a North Korean nuclear detonation by analyzing the seismic waves and radiation released during the explosion. They also use satellite imagery and atmospheric sampling to gather data on the size and type of the detonation.

2. Can scientists accurately determine the strength of a North Korean nuclear detonation?

While scientists can estimate the strength of a North Korean nuclear detonation, it is difficult to determine the exact yield due to the secretive nature of North Korea's nuclear program. However, advancements in technology have allowed for more precise measurements and analysis.

3. What is the approximate range of strength for a North Korean nuclear detonation?

The approximate range of strength for a North Korean nuclear detonation is between 10-30 kilotons, based on previous tests conducted by the country. However, it is possible for them to produce a larger yield if they develop more advanced nuclear technology.

4. How does the strength of a North Korean nuclear detonation compare to other nuclear powers?

The strength of a North Korean nuclear detonation is relatively small compared to other nuclear powers such as the United States, Russia, and China. These countries have the capability to produce detonations in the megaton range, which is significantly larger than North Korea's current capabilities.

5. Can the strength of a North Korean nuclear detonation be increased through advanced technology?

Yes, the strength of a North Korean nuclear detonation could potentially be increased through advancements in nuclear technology. However, this would require extensive research, development, and testing, which would likely be detected by other countries and could lead to international consequences.