1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we get a negative value for areas of surfaces of revolution?

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    the question is..

Find the areas of the surfaces generated by revolvin the curves about the indicated axes.

x = (1/3)y^(3/2) - y^(1/2), 1≦y≦3; revolved about y-axis

so i use the general formula "S = Integral 2π (radius)(dS)"
    and the radiu in this case is x which is (1/3)y^(3/2) - y^(1/2) but yea..
    i just keep getting negative value when i subsitute everything in the equation...

thanks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the surface area is given by [itex]2\pi \int x dS[/itex]. Here dS is the differential of arc length, [itex]\sqrt{1+ (dx/dy)^2} dy[/itex]
    Since [itex]x= (1/3)y^(3/2)- y^(1/2)[/itex], [itex]dx/dy= (1/2)y^{1/2}- (1/2)y^{-1/2}[/itex] and [itex](dx/dy)^2= (1/4)(y- 2+ y^{-1})[/itex]. Then [itex](dx/dy)^2+ 1= (1/4)(y+ 2+ y^{-1})= (1/4)(y^{1/2}+ y^{-1/2})^2[/itex] so [itex]dS= \sqrt{(1/4)(y+ 2+ y^{-1})}= (1/2)(y^{1/2}+ y^{-1/2})dy[/itex].

The surface area is
    [tex]\pi\int_1^3 (y^{1/2}+ y^{-1/2}) dy[/tex]
    That should be easy to integrate and you definitely won't get a negative value!

To answer you original question, no "area" is never negative.

4. Jan 29, 2008 #3
    Yes i got to that part too but what happen to the radius (x)?
    cuz after i multiply the radius with the dS and subsitute value 3 and 1 into y-value i got
    -16/9..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  5. Jan 30, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are right- I forgot to multiply by [itex]x= (1/3)y^{3/2}- y^{1/2}[/itex]. That would make the integral
    [tex]\pi \int_1^3 ((1/3)y^2- (2/3)y- 1)dy[/tex]

6. Jan 30, 2008 #5
    yea..and after i do anti-derivative i got

π [ (1/9)y^3 - (2/6)y^2 -y ]

which gives me a -16/9...

i just dun understand how come my answer is negative..

btw thanks for helping!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?