Surface Area of Volume of Revolution

In summary, the problem presented is to find the surface area of the volume of revolution generated by rotating the curve y=e2x between x=0 and x=2 about the x-axis. To solve this, the integral ∫y√(1+y2)dx is obtained, which can be simplified using the substitution u=2e2x. The resulting integral can be solved using a trigonometric substitution, giving the final result of 1/2π∫sec3θ dθ.
cphill29
The problem is, find the surface area of the volume of revolution generated by rotating the curve y=e2x between x=0 and x=2 about the x-axis.

Here's what I have so far...

SA=∫y√(1+y2)dx
=∫e2x√(1+4e4x)dx

and from here I'm not really sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to solve the integral ##I = \int e^{2x} \sqrt{1+4e^{4x}}dx = \int e^{2x} \sqrt{1+(2e^{2x})²}dx##

To do this, I suggest you perform the substitution ##u = 2e^{2x}##. The integral you then obtain can be easily solved using an appropriate trigonometric substitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so setting u=2e2x, I get du=4e2x dx, and dx=1/4e2x du. Substituting that in, I get...

I=2π∫(e2x)(1/4)(1/e2x)√(1+u2) and then when I simplify...

I=1/2π∫√(1+u2) using a trig sub,

I=1/2π∫sec3θ dθ

Is this correct?

cphill29 said:
OK, so setting u=2e2x, I get du=4e2x dx, and dx=1/4e2x du. Substituting that in, I get...

I=2π∫(e2x)(1/4)(1/e2x)√(1+u2) and then when I simplify...

I=1/2π∫√(1+u2) using a trig sub,

I=1/2π∫sec3θ dθ

Is this correct?

The result you obtain is correct.

Thank you very much for your help!

Likes member 587159
Little disclaimer, I just helped you solve the integral. I don't know the formula of revolution by heart, so I don't know whether you have that part of the question correct. Also, you should post questions like these in the homework sections ("calculus and beyond").

What is the surface area of revolution?

The surface area of revolution is the total area of the three-dimensional shape created when a two-dimensional curve is rotated around an axis. This is also known as a solid of revolution.

What is the formula for calculating surface area of revolution?

The formula for calculating surface area of revolution is 2π∫(y√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx), where the integral is taken over the interval of the curve being rotated and the y-axis.

How is surface area of revolution used in real life?

Surface area of revolution is used in real life in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to calculate the surface area of objects that have a curved shape, such as pipes, bottles, and car tires. It is also used in designing structures, such as domes and arches, and in calculating the volume of liquids in tanks.

What is the difference between surface area of revolution and volume of revolution?

The surface area of revolution is the total area of the three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional curve, while the volume of revolution is the total space enclosed by the same shape. In other words, surface area refers to the outside of the shape, while volume refers to the inside.

Can the surface area of revolution be negative?

No, the surface area of revolution cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the total area of the shape being rotated. If the surface area calculated using the formula is negative, it means there was an error in the calculation.