Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Surface Area of Volume of Revolution

1. Oct 10, 2017 #1
    The problem is, find the surface area of the volume of revolution generated by rotating the curve y=e2x between x=0 and x=2 about the x-axis.

Here's what I have so far...

SA=∫y√(1+y2)dx
    =∫e2x√(1+4e4x)dx

and from here I'm not really sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2017 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

You want to solve the integral ##I = \int e^{2x} \sqrt{1+4e^{4x}}dx = \int e^{2x} \sqrt{1+(2e^{2x})²}dx##

To do this, I suggest you perform the substitution ##u = 2e^{2x}##. The integral you then obtain can be easily solved using an appropriate trigonometric substitution.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  4. Oct 10, 2017 #3
    OK, so setting u=2e2x, I get du=4e2x dx, and dx=1/4e2x du. Substituting that in, I get...

I=2π∫(e2x)(1/4)(1/e2x)√(1+u2) and then when I simplify...

I=1/2π∫√(1+u2) using a trig sub,

I=1/2π∫sec3θ dθ

Is this correct?

5. Oct 10, 2017 #4

Math_QED

Homework Helper

The result you obtain is correct.

6. Oct 10, 2017 #5
    Thank you very much for your help!

7. Oct 10, 2017 #6

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Little disclaimer, I just helped you solve the integral. I don't know the formula of revolution by heart, so I don't know whether you have that part of the question correct. Also, you should post questions like these in the homework sections ("calculus and beyond").

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted