Can x = a*sinh(t) be used for solving \int (1/((\sqrt{(x^2)+(a^2)}))^(3/2)*dx)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
zahero_2007
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Hi , I solved [itex]\int (1/((\sqrt{(x^2)+(a^2)}))^(3/2)*dx)[/itex] using the substitution x = a*tan([itex]\varphi[/itex] I wonder if there are other methods to solve this problem?
* (2/3) is the power on the radical function
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the problem is
Integral ( x^2 + a^2 ) ^ (-3/4) dx ?

Is that correct ?
 
paulfr said:
So the problem is
Integral ( x^2 + a^2 ) ^ (-3/4) dx ?

Is that correct ?

Integral ( x^2 + z^2 )^(-3/2)dx I'm sorry I wrote the integral wrong in the first post
 
Last edited:
Attached is the solution with z=3
Cheers
 
Attachments
  • CalcIntegration092811.JPG
    CalcIntegration092811.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 526
Thanks paulfr but I already said that I solved it with the same substitution x=a*tan(u). I'm asking whether another method exist to solve the integral