1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Can you add flux contributions?

1. Jul 4, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I've got a question regarding flux.

Can you add flux contributions like you can add magnetic fields together?

To illustrate my point, consider a single coil wrapped around a material that conducts flux. A 10 coil is wrapped around the same material. [like a transformer]

When I turn the first single coil on, it produces a magnetic field. So it could cause a change in flux in the 2nd coil (say BA)...

Does the flux of each coil of the second coil change by BA? or by BA/10? I'm a bit confused by this :(

Logic would tell me that it's BA/10 so the total change in flux is BA... or can't you add flux like that? Because, if you actually do that then it defies the logic how transformers work ....

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2010 #2
    Re: Flux

If the total change in flux in the second coil is BA, then the change in flux through each turn would be BA/10.

4. Jul 4, 2010 #3

Then how does a transformer work? Because I think my Physics teacher said that the change in flux for each coil is the same, hence that's why the voltage can be stepped up...

5. Jul 4, 2010 #4

Hi,

Also, if the first coil produces a magnetic field of B, then the flux through each coil of the second coil would be BA, wouldn't it?

6. Jul 5, 2010 #5

yes.

7. Jul 5, 2010 #6

But that's contrary to what you said before :S

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook