Can You Derive F = gamma^3*ma from Newton's Second Law?

  • Thread starter Thread starter beecher
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
beecher
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Newton's second law is given by F = dp/dt. If the force is always parallel to the velocity, show that F = gamma3ma

Homework Equations



p = gamma*mv
gamma = 1/(1-v2/c2)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution



I really have no clue where to begin. This is what I've done so far, but I don't think I'm even on the right track.

F = dp/dt = gamma3ma = [1/(1-v2/c2)1/2]3ma
=1/(1-v2/c2)3/2ma
=1/(1 - 3v2/c2 + 3v4/c4 - v6/c6)1/2ma

Thats as far as i get on the right side.

For the left, all i can manage is dp/dt = d/dx p = d/dx gamma*mv
This is where I get confused. gamma and m are constant, so does dp/dt = gamma*m*dv/dt?

Some clarification would be great.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you in Modern Physics and answering this for your Russian Prof?
 
You're taking the hard route, you're trying to integrate the given expression, into the derivative. Just take the derivative, and rearrange.

Some pointers:

Express [tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}=({1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}})^{-\tfrac{1}{2}[/tex]

That should make taking the derivative much more simple.

Another bit that should help you is: [tex]\frac{d({1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}})}{dt}=\frac{-2v\cdot\dot v}{c^2}[/tex]