Can You Determine the Mass of the ISS with Incomplete Data?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
henderson56
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The international space station(iss) is in orbit about 487KM above the surface of the earth,completing one lap(orbit) around the planet every 92 minutes. Determine the mass of the ISS in tonnes(103kg) The diameter of the Earth is 12756.32 km at the equator.


Homework Equations


Formula, List of variables, and Calculations


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know if you can determine the mass of an orbiting body if the angular velocity and radius are not known?
Im lost and not too sure where to go from here.

I need some help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know the angular velocity is 1 orbit or revolution in 92mins. 1 rev= 2*pi rad. So you can get the angular velocity.


EDIT: On second thought, I am not sure how you will get mass given your information, as the mass of the satellite will always cancel out.
 
Yea, I don't think it is possible to find out the mass of the satellite, I have all of the formulas, with all of the variables that I have, and I can't not find the mass of the saatellite. I think I will go with what I have for formulas and variables, and prove that I can not find the mass
 
Double-check the problem. Are you supposed to estimate the mass of the ISS or the mass of the Earth?
 
I talked to my teacher today,And he said he did not put enough info on the question, so we needed to explain why we couldn't find the mass of the ISS.

Thanks every one for your help!