Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you determine this function?

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    Help please - I can't determine this function.

Okay I will try to make this as straightforward and clear as possible. My calculus background is rusty because it's been awhile, so this may seem trivial.

I am trying to find a function that can best fit the shape of the red curve shown in the attached figure. I need to be able to choose the y-intercept and increase/decrease the maximum point value marked as "1" on both the y and x-axis location. I also need to be able to increase/decrease the length/x-value of the end portion of the curve marked as "2."

I have so far tried playing with quadratic functions, a sine wave (from 0 to π), and a double exponential. No luck so far. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this seemingly simple problem.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2
    Maybe this 4 parameter fit will work:

[tex]y_0+a\frac{x}{L}\left(1-\frac{x}{L}\right)\left(1+c\frac{x}{L}\right)[/tex]

4. Feb 7, 2014 #3
    Hmm I've been playing with this equation, but not having too much luck. Could you explain it? :)

5. Feb 7, 2014 #4
    The first term is the value at x = 0. The parameter x=L is what you call point 2. Note that the function values at the x = 0 and x = L are both the same, as shown on your figure. The parameter a adjusts the height of the peak (along with the parameter c), and the parameter c moves the location of the peak around between x = 0 and x = L.

6. Feb 7, 2014 #5
    Maybe an even polynomial fit? Quartic or order 6? Course you may need a few more points to constrain it...

7. Feb 7, 2014 #6
    OK. I figured out an even better functional form than this previous one to try that I think you'll like much better:

[tex]y_0+a\frac{x}{L}\left(1-\frac{x}{L}\right)e^{c(\frac{x}{L})}[/tex]

If c = 0, the maximum will be at x = L/2. If c < 0, the maximum will be at x < L/2, and if c > 0, the maximum will be at x > L/2. This functional form will guarantee one maximum and no minima (or negative values) between x = 0 and x = L.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook