1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you find the gradient of a vector?

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I know you can find the gradient of a scalar using partial derivatives. Does it make sense to find the gradient of a vector, however?

A homework problem of mine asks to find the gradient of a vector. I'm starting to think it's a trick question....

2. Relevant equations

∇ dot V = the divergence of V
    ∇ cross V = the curl of V

3. The attempt at a solution

The equations above lead me believe that it doesn't make sense to take the gradient of a vector , but the gradient operator can be used in combination with a dot product or cross product to give similar information about the way a function behaves (divergence and curl). So, perhaps divergence and curl are like the vector version of a gradient?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2
    V∇ !
    Its not a trick question!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    Sorry, my above comment makes no sense, that was the gradient of a scalar which you mentioned, I read too fast! I'm curious too....maybe someone more math minded can help?...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. Jan 16, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can make the gradient of vector make some sense if you know what a tensor is. If not, then you may have misinterpreted the question. What is it?

6. Jan 17, 2013 #5
    The specific question is "You are given some vector function V(x,y,z). Can the gradient operation be operated on V? If so, how would you interpret the result?" Very vague, I know.

I have not yet learned what a tensor is. My teacher is definitely one to give tricky questions, so I'm sort of just thinking this is a way to teach us that the gradient operation is used on scalars, and the divergence and curl operations are used on vectors. Is this correct? The way I make sense of this in my head is with an analogy like divergence & curl : vector as gradient: scalar. What do you think?

7. Jan 17, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so it's just a thinking question. Gradient gives you a vector from a scalar. If you want to take the gradient of a vector you might think about taking the gradient of each component giving you a matrix.

8. Jan 17, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One way to think about the gradient is as a "linearization factor", so if v(x,y,z) is a scalar function we have
    [tex] v(x+h_x, y+h_y z+h_z) = v(x,y,z) + <A,h> + O(|h|^2), [/tex] where A is a vector, h = (h_x,h_y,h_z) is a vector and <.,.> denotes the inner product. If that holds for all h, we must have A = grad v. Can you think of a similar representation when v is a vector?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook