1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoidal and irrotational vector field

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am to prove (using the equations for gradient, divergence and curl in spherical polar coordinates) that vector field $$\mathbf{w}=w_{\psi}(r,\theta)\hat e_{\psi}$$ is solenoidal, find $$w_{\psi}(r,\theta)$$ when it's irrotational and find a potential in this case.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For vector field to be solenoidal, divergence should be zero, so I get the equation:

$$\nabla\cdot\mathbf{w}=\frac{1}{r\sin\theta}\frac{\partial w_{\psi}(r,\theta)}{\partial \psi}=0$$

For a vector field to be irrotational, the curl has to be zero. After substituting values into equation, I get:

$$\cos\theta\cdot w_{\psi}+\frac{\partial w_{\psi}}{\partial \theta}\cdot \sin\theta=0$$
    and
    $$w_{\psi}+\frac{\partial w_{\psi}}{\partial r}\cdot r=0$$.

Is it right? How to proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you derive that formula? Are you sure you didn't just use ##\frac{\partial w^r}{\partial r}+
    \frac{\partial w^\theta}{\partial \theta}+\frac{\partial w^\phi}{\partial \phi}##? If I recall correctly that formula for divergence only works for Cartesian coordinates, in which case it won't be correct for spherical coordinates. I think you either need to convert to Cartesian coordinates and calculate divergence as ##\frac{\partial w^x}{\partial x}+
    \frac{\partial w^y}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial w^z}{\partial z}##, or else add correction terms to the calculation in spherical coordinates to allow for the change in the coordinate vectors as the position moves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted