Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you make money getting published in scientific journal

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    I was wondering if one can make money by getting published in scientific journals

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have it the other way around.

If you look at the authors guidelines for many of these journals, you'll note that you have to PAY them to get your article published (although it is on a voluntary basis). Furthermore, you also transfer the copyright to them, unless you're working for a govt. agency that prohibits such a transfer (and in that case, you never own any of the work you do that's funded by the public anyway!).

But even disregarding that, how do you think you can make money off the papers that you published? You can't ask for royalties if your paper is cited - that isn't covered by any copyright laws. If you want royalties for people using your result, then guess what? People will simply NOT ask for it, because, chances are, someone else can duplicate that result and publish that (you can't copyright physical results).

Short answer: NO.

Zz.

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4
    could you elaborate a bit :D

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    well, it seems to be the case that you don't get paid. However, this is highly contrasting with other intellectual endeavors like writing any book (which someone else can also easily duplicate by finding the same thing independently), or even the fact that some people are paid to write book reviews, articles in newspapers. why the exception for science?
    I think it would only be fair that journals like 'nature' who get big bucks give some back to the writers of the articles they base themselves on.

7. Jun 10, 2012 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Journals don't pay people who submit articles. I don't think that they even pay the people who vet those papers and referee them (don't know for sure, so label this IMO).

8. Jun 10, 2012 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then this is a different topic entirely, isn't it? You asked if you can make money this way. You have the answer.

Whether you think it is "fair" or not is irrelevant.

Zz.

9. Jun 10, 2012 #8
    Should newspapers pay Obama when they publish a story about him?

10. Jun 10, 2012 #9
    wow, I thought this was a forum, but maybe I am mistaking.

11. Jun 10, 2012 #10
    Nice analogy. I'll have to think out loud for a bit to test it.
    The story is clearly not entirely made by obama, well it depends. But if you write a scientific paper, lots of solitary, and creative work is involved. And I believe it deserves merit.
    But I can definitely see your point.

12. Jun 10, 2012 #11
    should I leave and start another topic for the fairness question :p

13. Jun 10, 2012 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Or maybe you should spend some time browsing the forums, especially the Academic Guidance forum, since this topic has been discussed several times at length.

It would help, however, if you actually know what it is you're trying to discuss. It appears that you are unfamiliar with academic publishing in general, how it works, what it costs, what the journals actually have to do, etc. etc. It is often difficult (I find it pointless) to discuss such a thing when some of the parties involved are often ignorant of the circumstances.

Zz.

14. Jun 10, 2012 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Read your private messsages damabo. I have deleted your posts calling people names and whining.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook