Can You Outpredict Paul the Octopus in the 2014 PF World Cup League?

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    world cup
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
303 replies · 49K views
Brazil - Germany: 2 - 1
 
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
Hey, I get points anyway, no matter who wins :biggrin:

Not if Brazil wins the semis and loses the final... :)
 
Matterwave said:
Not if Brazil wins the semis and loses the final... :)

Yes he will, he will get half the points of the winner prediction.
 
micromass said:
Winner prediction: Germany
I'm withholding judgment until tomorrow and the Netherlands v Argentina game. Today, tomorrow, the day after, it doesn't matter: It's still a paltry two points that those of us who stuck with Brazil can possibly win.
 
montadhar said:
Netherlands - Argentina: 1 - 2

It seems that I was 2 minutes too late :smile: Which is fine by me.
I am more interested in what would the leader-board look like had everyone's votes counted.
 
Brazil - Netherlands (12 July): 0 - 1 Netherlands win

Germany - Argentina (13 July): 2 - 0 Germany win
 
Brazil vs Netherlands: 0-2
Germany vs Argentina: 1-0

Winner prediction: Germany
 
Last edited:
These 2 matches are the hardest for me to predict of all the previous matches...

Final:
Argentina-Germany: 3-2 GO FOR BROKE!

Semi-final:
Brazil-Netherlands: 1-0

I think Brazil still has something to prove, while the Netherlands doesn't really care about 3rd place.
 
fluidistic said:
Germany-Argentina: 2-1. Ger. wins.

Wait a minute - aren't you in Argentina?
 
Question: can I vote for Argentina in the match prediction and still have Germany in the main winner prediction ?
 
montadhar said:
Question: can I vote for Argentina in the match prediction and still have Germany in the main winner prediction ?

Yes.
 
Brazil - Netherlands: 1 - 3
Germany - Argentina: 2 - 0

micromass said:
Brazil - Netherlands: 0 - 5
Ouch, if that happens it will be very painful to watch... :blushing:EDIT: And if Argentina should win the final, it would be extra painful for me to watch this entry :redface::
micromass said:
Posted on 12 June (12 points):
[STRIKE]DennisN - Argentina[/STRIKE]
 
Last edited:
lisab said:
Wait a minute - aren't you in Argentina?

Yes I am. But I want to sleep that night... I'm dead serious :)
No party please. I've had enough of the 2 previous games of Argentina. Almost impossible to go out and buy food...
Go Germany!
 
fluidistic said:
Yes I am. But I want to sleep that night... I'm dead serious :)
No party please. I've had enough of the 2 previous games of Argentina. Almost impossible to go out and buy food...
Go Germany!

I understand that completely :approve:.
 
This concludes the PF World Cup Futbol League of 2014!

OVERALL WINNER OF THE PF FUTBOL LEAGUE

MONTADHAR

WINNER OF THE INDIVIDUAL MATCHES

DENNISN

Congratulations to montadhar and DennisN! And congratulations to all other players as well. I had a lot of fun with this thread and I hope you had too!

Thanks for playing!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
micromass said:
This concludes the PF World Cup Futbol League of 2014!

OVERALL WINNER OF THE PF FUTBOL LEAGUE

MONTADHAR

WINNER OF THE INDIVIDUAL MATCHES

DENNISN

Congratulations to montadhar and DennisN! And congratulations to all other players as well. I had a lot of fun with this thread and I hope you had too!

Thanks for playing!


I definitely had a lot of fun! I know DennisN had a lot of fun too :biggrin:
Thanks micromass for the massive effort you put into the league! You will have a lot of free time now :biggrin:

Is it possible to have the statistics for the predictions ? And if possible, the ones had the deadlines not been considered.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
fluidistic said:
Thank you Götzilla!

I just wonder one thing, since I don't know much about the rules of football. At minute 57 Neuer clattered Higuain in the goal keeper zone, did that deserve a penalty like the Argentinian people are claiming?
I doubt it because Neuer played the ball (and removed it) while Higuain didn't even touch the ball.

I think it was a foul. Although he got the ball, he clearly leapt into Higuain - if Neuer was an outfield player it would certainly have been given against him, but goalies get too much protection.

Thanks for running the competition, micro. I shall come back fighting in two years ;)
 
micromass said:
Congratulations to montadhar and DennisN! And congratulations to all other players as well. I had a lot of fun with this thread and I hope you had too!

Thanks for playing!
Thank you! And thanks to everyone for making this into a very fun and addictive thread!
I definitely had a lot of fun! It is more than a month since this thread started, a long game! I think it was exciting even until the end.

And a special, big thanks to micromass for his huge effort in managing the contest and the thread, great work!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person