Can You Outpredict Paul the Octopus in the 2014 PF World Cup League?

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    world cup
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
303 replies · 49K views
Probably too late but I will say this:
Belgium - USA: 0-3
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Brazil - Colombia (4 July): 1 - 1 Colombia win on penalties

France - Germany (4 July): 0 - 1 Germany win

Netherlands - Costa Rica (5 July): 2 - 1 Netherlands win
 
Well, the round of 16 is over now. Congratulations to montadhar for taking the lead once again! Although the difference is quite small!
 
July 4th:
Brazil vs Colombia: 2-1
France vs Germany: 1-1, France advances

July 5th:
Netherlands vs Costa Rica: 3-0
Argentina vs Belgium: 2-0
 
July 4th:
Brazil vs Colombia: 2-2 Brazil Advances
France vs Germany: 1-2

July 5th:
Netherlands vs Costa Rica: 2-0
Argentina vs Belgium: 1-0
 
July 4th:
Brazil vs Colombia: 1-2
France vs Germany: 2-1

July 5th:
Netherlands vs Costa Rica: 2-0
Argentina vs Belgium: 2-0
 
July 4th:
Brazil vs Colombia: 0-2
France vs Germany: 1-1 Germany advances

July 5th:
Netherlands vs Costa Rica: 2-1
Argentina vs Belgium: 1-1 Argentina advances
 
4th July:
Brazil v Colombia: 2-1
France vs Germany: 2-1

5th July:
Netherlands v Costa Rica: 3-1
Argentina v Belgium 3-2
 
4th July:
Brazil v Colombia: 0 - 1
France vs Germany: 0 - 2

5th July:
Netherlands v Costa Rica: 3 - 1
Argentina v Belgium: 1 - 2
 
4th July:
Brazil v Colombia: 1 - 2
France vs Germany: 1 - 2

5th July:
Netherlands v Costa Rica: 3 - 0
Argentina v Belgium: 2 - 1 (sorry, micromass :smile:)
 
Netherlands - Costa Rica (5 July): 2 - 1 Netherlands win

Argentina vs Belgium: (July 5th ): 1 - 1 Belguim advance on penalties.
 
4th July:

Brazil - Colombia: 2 - 1
France - Germany: 1 - 2
 
micromass said:
Well, the round of 16 is over now. Congratulations to montadhar for taking the lead once again! Although the difference is quite small!

Thanks :biggrin: I wouldn't celebrate that yet though, it will be very easy for me to move to the 3rd place today, and it's possible to go as far as the fifth.

This was my thought process when I chose the predictions of today's match:
"I will take the calculated risk and vote for Colombia" *looks at the predictions by other members* "OK, I will take the calculated risk and vote for Brazil"
 
montadhar said:
, it will be very easy for me to move to the 3rd place today, and it's possible to go as far as the fifth.

Really fun, eh? :-p
And you and I may lose a lot of (overall) potential points if Germany loses today :biggrin:.
If Germany loses, and those who voted Germany as winner place new winners today/tomorrow,
the following potential points will be lost:

montadhar: 16 - 4 = 12 potential points
Logger: 16 - 4 = 12 potential points
PhysicsGente: 10 - 4 = 6 potential points
DennisN: 10 - 4 = 6 potential points

This contest is mighty fun :approve:.
 
Last edited:
micromass said:
Also fun to see that cristo and me had Brazil as overall winner, but now voted for Colombia to win :-p

:confused: :smile: :confused:
 
5th July:

Netherlands v Costa Rica: 2 - 0
Argentina v Belgium: 2 - 1
 
Semi-finals:
Argentina vs Netherlands: 1-0
Germany vs Brazil: 4-2
 
Matterwave said:
Semi-finals:
Argentina vs Netherlands: 1-0
:bugeye: Are you such a fanatic of Argentina?

Germany vs Brazil: 4-2

:rolleyes: That's somewhat closer, though :approve:
 
Semi-finals:
Argentina vs Netherlands: 1-1 Netherlands advance
Germany vs Brazil: 1-1 Germany advance
 
Can we please follow the FIFA order? It is
Brazil - Germany
Netherlands - Argentina

This makes it a lot easier for me.
 
Brazil vs Germany: 0-1
Netherlands vs Argentina: 1-0
 
Brazil v Germany: 0-1
Netherlands vs Argentina: 0-1
 
micromass said:
Prediction for the winner:
Posted on 6 June (16 points):
micromass - Brazil

micromass said:
Brazil - Germany: 0 - 2

Are you using a complementary strategy? :biggrin: (I don't know if "complementary" is the right term, but you probably understand what I mean)

EDIT: I haven't decided for the semi-finals yet. I have to think it through properly. Some tough decisions...:smile:
 
Brazil vs Germany: 1-0
Netherlands vs Argentina: 2-1
 
DennisN said:
Are you using a complementary strategy? :biggrin: (I don't know if "complementary" is the right term, but you probably understand what I mean)

Hey, I get points anyway, no matter who wins :biggrin:
 
Semi-finals:
Brazil - Germany: 1 - 2
Netherlands - Argentina: 2 - 1
(gosh, these results were hard for me to decide on :biggrin:)