Affordable Canadian Universities with Strong Physics Programs for Grad School"

In summary: Algeria offer anything of the kind?)Also, since you are Algerian, what is the possibility of you attending an university in Europe (say, in France, Belgium or Germany)? In a thread you posted last year, you had stated that you were in Germany.In summary, the conversation is about finding good and affordable universities in Canada with strong physics faculties for the purpose of pursuing a career in theoretical physics. The OP has already considered Memorial University and Concordia and is now seeking opinions on their choices and their chances of getting into a top US graduate school. They also mention the high costs of universities like UofT and UofW and ask about scholarships and opportunities
MedLam
Hey guys,
I was wondering what are some good and affordable universities in Canada that have good physics faculties (my goal is to go to theoretical physics in Grad school.)
I have so far looked at the Memorial university, and Concordia, what do you think? And what are the chances of getting to a top US grad school after it?
The reason I didn't look at UofT or UofW is because it's too expensive, and I am not sure if there are ways to pay it off by working or getting a scholarship? Correct me if I am wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
MedLam said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering what are some good and affordable universities in Canada that have good physics faculties (my goal is to go to theoretical physics in Grad school.)
I have so far looked at the Memorial university, and Concordia, what do you think? And what are the chances of getting to a top US grad school after it?
The reason I didn't look at UofT or UofW is because it's too expensive, and I am not sure if there are ways to pay it off by working or getting a scholarship? Correct me if I am wrong

In another thread, you said are Algerian, so you will have to pay international student tuition, which, I think, varies from university to university.

By "UofW", do you mean University of Waterloo, and not, for example, University of Windsor or University of Winnipeg? Is Waterloo really that expensive?

With regards to affordability, what are you taking into account? Tuition fees? Cost of living in a particular city? Chance of getting a scholarship? Other criteria?

Another possibility is Queen's University in Kingston Ontario, a beautiful small city on Lake Ontario.

George Jones said:
In another thread, you said are Algerian, so you will have to pay international student tuition, which, I think, varies from university to university.

By "UofW", do you mean University of Waterloo, and not, for example, University of Windsor or University of Winnipeg? Is Waterloo really that expensive?

With regards to affordability, what are you taking into account? Tuition fees? Cost of living in a particular city? Chance of getting a scholarship? Other criteria?

Another possibility is Queen's University in Kingston Ontario, a beautiful small city on Lake Ontario.

Yes, I meant the university of Waterloo, and it is expensive for an international student, it costs somewhere between 31 and 32000$ a year for tuition. And yes that is the biggest issue, I can probably do with a very basic lifestyle.
I am not sure if getting a scholarship is possible, or of it would be helpful anyway? If you know something else it might be helpful
There are some universities that I can probably afford on a very tight budget, like memorial university, but I am not sure about its physics program?

To the OP:

In all honesty, the probability of getting accepted into top US graduate program in physics doesn't depend all that much from what undergraduate program you complete in Canada (the same is also true of other science and engineering programs as well).

My understanding is that both Memorial and Concordia have solid undergraduate programs in physics and other STEM fields, and either school would be a good choice for you. Here are some other schools that you may want to consider:

1. McMaster University
2. Dalhousie University
3. Simon Fraser University
4. University of Calgary
5. University of Victoria

All of the above schools have tuition rates that are comparable to Memorial and Concordia, and all have solid science programs.

As far as scholarship is concerned for international students, you'll want to check with the different schools whether they are available, as well as check with any special scholarships offered by your government (many international students who attend universities in Canada or the US have their tuition paid for by special scholarships paid for by their respective governments -- does Algeria offer anything of the kind?)

Also, since you are Algerian, what is the possibility of you attending an university in Europe (say, in France, Belgium or Germany)? In a thread you posted last year, you had stated that you were in Germany.

MedLam said:
Hey guys,
As someone else mentioned that you are Algerian, you should consider French speaking universities too. Consider Université de Sherbrooke, Université Laval which are relatively inexpensive and have strong physics department (and they are in inexpensive cities to live especially Université de Sherbrooke). You mention wanting to go in theoretical physics but this is still extremely wide, do you have a specific topic in mind? Sherbrooke is very strong in quantum computing, condensed matter physics and superconductivity in particular. Laval is very strong in optics.

StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

In all honesty, the probability of getting accepted into top US graduate program in physics doesn't depend all that much from what undergraduate program you complete in Canada (the same is also true of other science and engineering programs as well).

My understanding is that both Memorial and Concordia have solid undergraduate programs in physics and other STEM fields, and either school would be a good choice for you. Here are some other schools that you may want to consider:

1. McMaster University
2. Dalhousie University
3. Simon Fraser University
4. University of Calgary
5. University of Victoria

All of the above schools have tuition rates that are comparable to Memorial and Concordia, and all have solid science programs.

As far as scholarship is concerned for international students, you'll want to check with the different schools whether they are available, as well as check with any special scholarships offered by your government (many international students who attend universities in Canada or the US have their tuition paid for by special scholarships paid for by their respective governments -- does Algeria offer anything of the kind?)

Also, since you are Algerian, what is the possibility of you attending an university in Europe (say, in France, Belgium or Germany)? In a thread you posted last year, you had stated that you were in Germany.

nrqed said:
As someone else mentioned that you are Algerian, you should consider French speaking universities too. Consider Université de Sherbrooke, Université Laval which are relatively inexpensive and have strong physics department (and they are in inexpensive cities to live especially Université de Sherbrooke). You mention wanting to go in theoretical physics but this is still extremely wide, do you have a specific topic in mind? Sherbrooke is very strong in quantum computing, condensed matter physics and superconductivity in particular. Laval is very strong in optics.

Thanks for the replies.
First of all, the reason I chose Canada imstead of France or Germany is the fact that I studied medicine for a year here, and I have done my research and realized that they might care about that, and Canadian universities probably won't (my high school final exam was almost 2 years ago) , correct me if I am wrong here.
And I don't mind going to the French speaking universities either, if it has more advantages, and looking at the universities you have suggested to me, and knowing that I am interested in both Quantum mechanics, and Cosmology and particle physics, so either choices would be fine, I have narrowed it down to:
1.Calgary University (the tuition fees are low and the this university is rater 7th in Canada, I am not sure about its physics reputation though?)
2.Memorial university.
3.Sherbrooke (the price isn't high, and I am interested in Quantum computing research in the future, I quite like this university, but I don't understand why the rating isn't higher?)
4.University of Victoria (The price is a lot higher than the other universities, but if you convince me it's that good, I would probably be able to afford it.)
Now it's getting harder to choose

MedLam said:
Thanks for the replies.
First of all, the reason I chose Canada imstead of France or Germany is the fact that I studied medicine for a year here, and I have done my research and realized that they might care about that, and Canadian universities probably won't (my high school final exam was almost 2 years ago) , correct me if I am wrong here.
And I don't mind going to the French speaking universities either, if it has more advantages, and looking at the universities you have suggested to me, and knowing that I am interested in both Quantum mechanics, and Cosmology and particle physics, so either choices would be fine, I have narrowed it down to:
1.Calgary University (the tuition fees are low and the this university is rater 7th in Canada, I am not sure about its physics reputation though?)
2.Memorial university.
3.Sherbrooke (the price isn't high, and I am interested in Quantum computing research in the future, I quite like this university, but I don't understand why the rating isn't higher?)
4.University of Victoria (The price is a lot higher than the other universities, but if you convince me it's that good, I would probably be able to afford it.)
Now it's getting harder to choose
I know Université de Sherbrooke quite well. In most disciplines it is not highly ranked but I can attest that in the field of quantum computing, it near the very top of Canadian universities and I am sure it ranks very well internationally. And the cost of living is very low here.

I know you aren't looking at Simon Fraser University anymore, but seeing you have interests in particle physics and cosmology, I think it may be a good school for you. SFU has a research group working with the ATLAS detector at CERN, as well several research groups studying cosmology. I will be going to SFU for physics this year, so if you have any questions I can help. I don't know much about Calgary University, Sherbrooke or Memorial University, but I know University of Victoria has a few decent particle physics research groups, and the campus there is very nice.

Any last thoughts before I make the final decision?

I think If Sherbrooke appeals to you as a good place to live and study, and they have research in field that's interest you, I say disregard the ranking thing and go for that.

Victoria is a nice city and the campus is beautiful IMO, but living on the island or in the Van area is pricey. Personally UVic was my first choice but I couldn't afford the move.

I spent a year at UofC before transferring to a smaller university in BC, but I quite liked it while I was there. I live in Calgary all my life and it is generally a pleasant city to live.

MedLam said:
Any last thoughts before I make the final decision?
Just to add to my earlier comments: in the field of quantum computing, University of Sherbrooke is extremely strong, there are several professors here who have won awards in the field. An they are growing and the "Institut Quantique" here is getting quite a lot of money.

Last edited:
MedLam said:
For some scholarships you have to be an Ontario resident. But there are some that are solely dependent on grades; unfortunately at U of T most of those in the physics/math require a GPA of 3.9+ if you want one of any significant amount; the situation a Uinversity of Waterloo is even worse.

Thank you for all of these suggestions, I actually realized that's it too late for the university of sherbrooke. But I did send an admission to memorial university or Simon fraser.
I am thinking about the French side too, most universities are still open, but I am not sure about their reputation when it comes to physics. And it seems there isn't much information about the French side whem it comes to this online.
Université Laval seems good, any other suggestions?

1. What are the top affordable Canadian universities for physics graduate programs?

Some of the top affordable Canadian universities for physics graduate programs include the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, University of Waterloo, McGill University, and University of Alberta.

2. Are these universities known for their strong physics programs?

Yes, these universities are known for their strong physics programs. They have highly qualified faculty, state-of-the-art research facilities, and a diverse range of research opportunities for graduate students.

3. What is the average cost of tuition for graduate physics programs in Canada?

The average cost of tuition for graduate physics programs in Canada varies depending on the university and the specific program. However, on average, international students can expect to pay around $20,000 to $35,000 CAD per year, while domestic students may pay around $10,000 to $15,000 CAD per year.

4. Are there any scholarships or funding opportunities available for international students pursuing physics graduate programs in Canada?

Yes, there are a number of scholarships and funding opportunities available for international students pursuing physics graduate programs in Canada. Some universities offer scholarships specifically for international students, and there are also external scholarship opportunities such as the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships and the Ontario Graduate Scholarship.

5. How does the quality of education in these universities compare to other top universities in the world?

The quality of education in these Canadian universities is highly regarded and comparable to other top universities in the world. The universities have a strong reputation for excellence in research and teaching, and their graduates are highly sought after by employers and top graduate programs around the world.