1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannon and coefficient of friction between ground

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 3000kg cannon fires a 14 kg shell horizontally with a muzzle velocity of 450m/s. The cannon recoils for a distance of 2.5m before coming to a stop. What is the coefficient of friction between the cannon and the ground that it rests upon?

mcannon= 3000kg
    mball=14kg
    v1ball=0
    v2ball=450m/s
    v1cannon = 0
    v2cannon= ?

I dont really know where to begin with this question.. Is it a momentum/impulse question or something else? Please help..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use momentum conservation to find the initial velocity of the cannon.

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3
    Wouldn't the initial velocity of the cannon be zero though since both the ball and the cannon start off at rest? If I were to find the v2 of the cannon though, how would I proceed with the rest of the solution?

5. Dec 3, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Yes, initial velocity is 0. What kuruman meant was the thing you call v2, that is, the velocity of the cannon at the instant it fired the cannonball.

After finding v2, can you find the acceleration that friction exerts on the object?

6. Dec 3, 2009 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the initial velocity (and momentum) of the cannon and shell system is zero. The final momentum of the cannon and shell system will also be zero. However, before the shell is fired nothing is moving, but after the shell is fired, both cannon and shell are moving.

7. Dec 6, 2009 #6
    Would I use the formula v12 = v22 - 1/2ad?

Am I using the wrong formula..? Because I seem to get this massive number as the acceleration..

8. Dec 6, 2009 #7

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the definition of momentum? Momentum conservation says

Momentum before = Momentum after.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook