1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannot find the formula for tension

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    Figure 5-48 shows four penguins that are being playfully pulled along very slippery (frictionless) ice by a curator. The masses of three penguins and the tension in two of the cords are m1 = 12 kg, m3 = 16 kg, m4 = 23 kg, T2 = 112 N, and T4 = 212 N. Find the penguin mass m2 that is not given.
    Image :- http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c05/fig05_46.gif

I really cannot find the formula for tension at all and also i don't understand the tension concept at all. So please can somebody help me please.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Tension

Tension is just Force.

Use F = m*a

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    Re: Tension

Hello everyone,

I'm having a doubt with my Physics homework. I need somebody's help!!!

To find the force exerted by the rope on a bucket of water that is raised from a well I have to find the normal force (m*A upward accelaration of the bucket) and that is the one or I should find the force of gravity (m*G) and substracted from the normal force and that is the force exerted by the rope?

Thankss

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook