What are the tensions and movements in this force and motion problem?

In summary, the tension in the cord connecting blocks B and C is uniform throughout both segments. The assembly is released from rest and A moves 0.300 s in the first 0.
J-dizzal said:
i must be wrong to call a negative for that equation prematurely
so only by inspection of the direction of your tension would you know the sign of the tension force?

Physics news on Phys.org
r(t) = r0+v0+(1/2)at2
this is the only equation i get for the motion equations for the exam. I am trying to derive an equation for distance box B moves in the time 0.3s

J-dizzal said:
r(t) = r0+v0+(1/2)at2
this is the only equation i get for the motion equations for the exam. I am trying to derive an equation for distance box B moves in the time 0.3s
ok r0 and v0 cancel. plug in the rest. thanks for help Kinta!

Likes Kinta
J-dizzal said:
ok i see, -49.21 but my sign is wrong. i used 14(-(-6.3))-137.2=-49.21, but evidently it should be positive.
J-dizzal said:
so only by inspection of the direction of your tension would you know the sign of the tension force?
I think the sign of the tension force that you obtain for the cord between two blocks will depend on which equation you use to solve for it. Regardless, the tension everywhere in the cord between two blocks is equal in magnitude (meaning disregarding the sign).
J-dizzal said:
TC to B= ma= mC(-a)
This is incorrect. In writing ##T_{CtoB} = m_Ca##, you're saying that tension is the only force acting on block C. The acceleration a is the net acceleration of each of the blocks, period. It is the result of ALL forces involved ,not just the tension and not just gravity, all of them.

J-dizzal said:
ok r0 and v0 cancel. plug in the rest. thanks for help Kinta!
My pleasure! :)

Kinta said:
I think the sign of the tension force that you obtain for the cord between two blocks will depend on which equation you use to solve for it. Regardless, the tension everywhere in the cord between two blocks is equal in magnitude (meaning disregarding the sign).

This is incorrect. In writing ##T_{CtoB} = m_Ca##, you're saying that tension is the only force acting on block C. The acceleration a is the net acceleration of each of the blocks, period. It is the result of ALL forces involved ,not just the tension and not just gravity, all of them.
ok i get it.

J-dizzal said:
ok i get it.
ok next homework problem, coming soon...hehe