What are the tensions and movements in this force and motion problem?

In summary, the tension in the cord connecting blocks B and C is uniform throughout both segments. The assembly is released from rest and A moves 0.300 s in the first 0.
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

In the figure here three ballot boxes are connected by cords, one of which wraps over a pulley having negligible friction on its axle and negligible mass. The masses are mA = 33 kg, mB = 45 kg, and mC = 14 kg. When the assembly is released from rest, (a) what is the tension in the cord connecting B and C, and (b) how far does A move in the first 0.300 s (assuming it does not reach the pulley)?

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c05/fig_5_E.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/jhoversten/media/be59570a-8c6b-4612-aa51-52d1bd5d3a7d_zpsqc5pc7ce.jpg.html

Im not sure how to solve the simultaneous equations for T or a. my attempt at solving for T was incorrect.[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first part of the question asks for the tension in the cord between blocks B and C. So, if you've run into trouble, you may want to put some of your initial assumptions under more scrutiny. Do you know for a fact that the tension in the cord is uniform throughout both segments or was that just a gut feeling?

Kinta said:
The first part of the question asks for the tension in the cord between blocks B and C. So, if you've run into trouble, you may want to put some of your initial assumptions under more scrutiny. Do you know for a fact that the tension in the cord is uniform throughout both segments or was that just a gut feeling?
ah crap. yea the tension in the cord is not the same through out.
I just understood the problem wrong.

J-dizzal said:
ah crap. yea the tension in the cord is not the same through out.
I just understood the problem wrong.

Live and learn :)

Kinta said:
im going to take another stab at this.

Kinta said:
So i need to find a for the whole system because its asking for tension after the system is released right?

J-dizzal said:
So i need to find a for the whole system because its asking for tension after the system is released right?
From what I've done, I am seeing that finding ##a## for the system will be beneficial, yes.

Kinta said:
From what I've done, I am seeing that finding ##a## for the system will be beneficial, yes.
So what is the difference between the tension between box B and A and the weight of B+A?
T=ma
T=(45+14)(-9.8)=-578.2N that is the same as the weight of box B and A? So then how do i find acceleration for the system?

Have you written down Newton's 2nd law for the 3 masses?

Kinta said:
here what i have so far; FA=(33kg)(a), FB=572.8N - T, FC=mg + (14kg)(-a)

FB= 572.8 + mg + TBtoC
edit: i think mg and + TBtoC are the same = -137.2N
edit again: nevermind they are different T in B=-5.4N

Last edited:
Kinta said:
how would I find the tension between C and B? if FC= mg + tension from B?

Kinta said:
no

im having trouble finding the acceleration on the system because i am not getting the net forces correctly.

Kinta said:
FA=MA a
FB=TB to A + TB to C + mg
FC=TC to B + mg
how does that look for Newtons 2nd law for each box?

J-dizzal said:
im having trouble finding the acceleration on the system because i am not getting the net forces correctly.

Sorry, I had to step out for a while. When writing Newton's Second Law for a thing, just put ##m \vec{a} = \vec{F}^{(net)}## where the net force would include things like gravity and tension (not the total acceleration, ##\vec{a}## which appears on the left).

Last edited:
J-dizzal said:
FA=MA a
FB=TB to A + TB to C + mg
FC=TC to B + mg
how does that look for Newtons 2nd law for each box?

This might be right depending on your notation! Are those tensions meant to be vectors or positive scalars?

You may also find it more instructive to have ##m_{A,B,C}a## on the left side instead of ##F_{A,B,C}##.
Edit: I jumped the gun a bit. Your equation for the forces on mass A isn't wrong, but go ahead and put the forces acting on it in the place of ##F_A##. The previous suggestion does apply to your second two equations though.

Last edited:
Kinta said:
This might be right depending on your notation! Are those tensions meant to be vectors or positive scalars?

You may also find it more instructive to have ##m_{A,B,C}a## on the left side instead of ##F_{A,B,C}##
the tensions are vectors, eg. TB to A = (45kg + 14kg)a -59a

if ##m_{A,B,C}a## is on the left then what is on the right?

J-dizzal said:
the tensions are vectors, eg. TB to A = (45kg + 14kg)a -59a
Just so that I can be sure that you're sure, can you note your coordinate system (which directions are positive and negative) and write the three equations in scalar form?

Kinta said:
Just so that I can be sure that you're sure, can you note your coordinate system (which directions are positive and negative) and write the three equations in scalar form?
Sure, FnetA=33a, FnetB= -59a + 14a - 441, FnetC= -14a - 137.2
standard coordinate system: up positive, down negative, right positive

Kinta said:
i got a = -22.24 :(

Kinta said:
20150626_135045_zpsjodzyok7.jpg

my signs are all messed up hold on. and i think Tension from B to A is not (45+14)a its just 45a

Don't worry about calculating numbers yet. Keep everything symbolic (i.e., stick to letters and symbols) until you can just plug everything in for a single equation. When writing the net force on an object of mass ##m##, try writing ##m\vec{a} = \sum \vec{F}## where the left side is written exactly as is (except for subscripts if applicable) and the right side is to be replaced with all of the forces acting on the mass. Ex: If you have a mass acted on by only gravity, you'd have something like ##m \vec{a} = m \vec{g}## where ##\vec{g}## points toward the center of mass of the gravitational body. If there was a tension force also acting on the object, it would be included on the right side. You basically want the right side determining the left side.

Edit: After you have this equation in vector form for each mass, you can begin assigning a coordinate system to determine positive/negative signs for the various quantities.

Kinta said:
Don't worry about calculating numbers yet. Keep everything symbolic (i.e., stick to letters and symbols) until you can just plug everything in for a single equation. When writing the net force on an object of mass ##m##, try writing ##m\vec{a} = \sum \vec{F}## where the left side is written exactly as is (except for subscripts if applicable) and the right side is to be replaced with all of the forces acting on the mass. Ex: If you have a mass acted on by only gravity, you'd have something like ##m \vec{a} = m \vec{g}## where ##\vec{g}## points toward the center of mass of the gravitational body. If there was a tension force also acting on the object, it would be included on the right side. You basically want the right side determining the left side.
ok let me try that

J-dizzal said:
ok let me try that
im getting ma= mAa + TB to A + TB to C + mg + TC to B + mg

Kinta said:

Edit: After you have this equation in vector form for each mass, you can begin assigning a coordinate system to determine positive/negative signs for the various quantities.
im getting a = -7.413

J-dizzal said:

Those forces aren't all acting on the same mass. I wrote, "when writing the net force on an object of mass ##m##..." So, you should definitely have three equations, one for each mass.

Kinta said:
Those forces aren't all acting on the same mass. I wrote, "when writing the net force on an object of mass ##m##..." So, you should definitely have three equations, one for each mass.
ok i have 3 equations, how do i solve for a if i cannot set them equal to each other?

J-dizzal said:
ok i have 3 equations, how do i solve for a if i cannot set them equal to each other?

Can you show me the three equations?

The problem with where you wrote
J-dizzal said:
was that it looked like you lumped all of the forces from the separate masses onto some joint mass, which isn't practical in this case.

Kinta said:
Can you show me the three equations?

The problem with where you wrote

was that it looked like you lumped all of the forces from the separate masses onto some joint mass, which isn't practical in this case.
thanks for helping I am having real difficulty with this supposedly easy question.
ma=mAa
ma=TB to A + TB to C + mBg
ma=TC to B + mCg

J-dizzal said:
thanks for helping I am having real difficulty with this supposedly easy question.
ma=mAa
ma=TB to A + TB to C + mBg
ma=TC to B + mCg
This is almost to a point of being useful! Go ahead and label the masses on the left-hand sides of your equations with the appropriate subscripts. Then, instead of having your first equation be redundant, replace the right-hand side of it with all of the interesting forces acting on it (there's only one non-canceled force on it, the tension) like you did with the others.

sorry got hung up on something.

A; ma=33a
B; ma=31a -441
C; ma=14a -137.2

J-dizzal said:
sorry got hung up on something.

A; ma=33a
B; ma=31a -441
C; ma=14a -137.2

I just meant for you to put subscripts on the masses on the l.h.s. of your equations like you had on the right and then to replace the r.h.s. of the first equation with ##T_{A to B}##. Keep symbols until you absolutely know you're ready to calculate stuff.

Kinta said:
I just meant for you to put subscripts on the masses on the l.h.s. of your equations like you had on the right and then to replace the r.h.s. of the first equation with ##T_{A to B}##. Keep symbols until you absolutely know you're ready to calculate stuff.
mAa=TA to B
mBa=TB to A+TB to C+mBg
mCa=TC to B+mCg

like that? or write out the masses for each tension multiplied by a?