Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical momenta action electromagnetism

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

In one of the assignments in a course on classical field theory I'm given the action
    [itex]S = \int d^4 x \mathcal{L}[/itex]

where
    [itex] \mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{16\pi} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu} - A_{\mu}j^{\mu}[/itex].

I'm now supposed to construct the canonical momenta [itex]\pi_\mu = \frac{\delta S}{\delta \dot{A}^{\mu}} [/itex],

but I have no idea how to. Is there any way to do this without loads and loads of algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

You mean πk. Canonical quantization is a 3+1 dimensional approach and πk is a 3-d variable. What you need to do is split all the index summations into 0 along with a sum over k. Then you'll see Ak,0 explicitly, making it easy to take the derivative.

4. Jun 10, 2013 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see other way to do it rather than brute force calculation using:

[tex] \frac{\partial\left(\partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}\right)}{ \partial\left(\partial_{0}A_{\sigma}\right)} = \delta_{\mu}^{0} \delta_{\nu}^{\sigma} [/tex]

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4
    I guess I don't understand how to compute the variational derivative here, can anyone explain?

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The functional derivative or variational derivative is the same thing you do when deriving the Euler-Lagrange equations. See Wikipedia. (I'm limiting my comments because you say this is an assignment. You need to work some of this out for yourself!)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook